Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Passive mode with Jacks

Poker in europe 8handed 10-20$ game.

I openraise UTG+1 with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
All fold to bb who calls. (Im not sure but I think he´s an okey player, I am 90% sure hes atleast a winning player)

Flop comes: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets out. I call, planning to raise a blank turn.
Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets, I call.
river:5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He once again bets out and I call.

Did I play the hand correctly?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Passive mode with Jacks

Whether you raise the flop or wait till the turn is a close
call. When I have a big overpair and I get a highly coodinated flop like this which really doesn't help my hand
I tend to slowdown especially when it's headsup. If I want to be aggressive I would do so on the flop because it's cheaper. When the turn card comes calling is the best play. Your opponent certainly may still have one pair at this time. I like the river card unless he has a five because you now have two pair so you have a clear call.

Bruce
Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 AM

hi king
you played it correctly. this flop may have hit the BB.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:23 PM

what does everyone think about raising the flop?

I think I like calling better, because I don't think you can fold if you get raised, plus as the original poster mentioned you can raise the turn and then either fold for a 3 bet or probably get checked to on the river.

I am an inexperienced player, and to me the decision to raise or fold the flop isn't really clear cut, in a live game I would be uncertain as to what to do. so if anyone wanted to share their thought processes regarding this it would be helpful.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-04-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Results

He held K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and flopped a flush draw but missed and my two jacks were good
Old 09-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Personally, I raise the flop 100% of the time in this situation. It is heads up right now and with rags on the board, now isn't the time to give up the initiative. You raised preflop, and the BB may have simply been protecting his blind by coming along to see the flop. Since the BB could hold any 2 cards in this situation, a bet is a good way to see where you stand and will often let you take down the pot. Why would you check here? You have position, you probably have the best hand, and you have aggression on your side. Use it.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:17 PM

You have an overpair to a coordinated board. Raise the flop to charge him for his draws.