Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Short Handed - Loose Agressive Table

Just wondering overall what the best strategy for this game would be. It's a 6 handed table, and say 4 of your 5 opponents are very with their pre flop calls and raises, and almost always follow up on the flop, and don't like to fold.

What's the best way to play with this, espicially if you're not getting any hands to play back with...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Short Handed - Loose Agressive Table

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering overall what the best strategy for this game would be. It's a 6 handed table, and say 4 of your 5 opponents are very with their pre flop calls and raises, and almost always follow up on the flop, and don't like to fold.

What's the best way to play with this, espicially if you're not getting any hands to play back with...

[/ QUOTE ]

Play tight. If you aren't getting hit with the deck, you still must play tight. You may have a losing session but it's all about the long term - you can't punish your laggy opponents with bad cards. Getting involved with weak hands because that's all you're being dealt is a sure way to lose money. Don't get involved with hands like QTo unless you're closing the action preflop. Prefer things like A9o which can win at showdown unimproved and only when it's going to be 1-2 opponents to the flop. Play hands like tptk very aggressively in multi-way pots and try to let your opponents hang themselves heads up by doing things like just calling a flop raise and bet/3-betting the turn heads up - ie use their laggyness against them.

Get to showdown - abandon turn semi-bluff raises, etc. Don't fold hands like 66 on a Q45 flop because you think your opponent must have a queen. Avoid bet/fold lines, check/calling has much more value when your opponent will try to bluff you off the best hand. In fact you should drastically reduce your overall bluffing and semi-bluffing frequency as you'll often be bluff-raised off the best hand or charge yourself more to draw.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Patience. Value bet. You won't be able to push these guys around and steal blinds. You'll just have to wait for quality hands and bet them (or let villain bet them). Yes, you'll get sucked out on just like when a full game had a bunch of LAGs but this will be a very profitable game for you. Just know that you can value bet in these situations with a little weaker hands than in a full ring game but don't go overboard on this. TPTK with 4 opponents on a 4 flush board probably isn't good.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 PM

This depends on your definition of LAG. Imo 35/25 is close to optimal if everybody started stealing as much as they should. Maybe these guys do. If you play 20/15 vs these guys they will run you over.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Wait for the bigger hands. Let them do the betting. They will pick up a lot of small pots, but you will win most of the bigger ones.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:16 PM

How about playing draws? Any different way suggested to playing draws?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:19 PM

here's a typical hand:

villain has been open raising a lot from the CO and button. I have been getting junk cards. In this hand I get 88 and villain open raises OTB. I 3-bet and he caps. Flop is Kxx. I bet he raises, I call. Turn is Q. I check/call. River is another blank. I check/call. Villain turns over AJo and MHIG.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Although be prepared for Villan flips Q3o and i lose.

Or maybe worse, River is a 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] villan flips 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and scoops the pot.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, Varience man!!!! Make sure you have "I WONT TILT WHEN I LOSE BIG" Engaged.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Just wanted to ask again about draws, and any specific ways to play them in a LAG game
Old 12-06-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to ask again about draws, and any specific ways to play them in a LAG game

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is not very meaningful in the abstract, however in general you should take extra care to avoid small/middle suited connectors in early position. You should feel more free to play small/medium pairs. Obviously big card value still remains, although hands like AQs may ultimately win more often than hands like TT or JJ (at least if the hand is multiway at the river.)