Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Default QTs flops a straight

A friend and I were discussing how to proceed in this hand, particularly on the flop. Comments on any street welcome of course.

No reads at the table yet - second orbit.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, Hero calls, CO raises, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, UTG+1 calls, Hero caps, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, UTG+1 caps, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (22.75 BB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 25.75 BB
Old 06-17-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: QTs flops a straight

Betting and having CO raise on the flop isn't a disaster, but I wouldn't want it to happen. Checking/calling seems dumb, so check/raising seems like the best play. I'm like whatever PF. They'll say raise, but I don't care.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM

Anyone raise the river? It doesn't seem like CO has a T, but he wants to call down anyway, as evidenced by his turn play. You can split his money with UTG+1.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone raise the river? It doesn't seem like CO has a T, but he wants to call down anyway, as evidenced by his turn play. You can split his money with UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think going for the overcall is the right play now that we no longer have the nuts.

flop here is the perfect spot for a checkraise.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 AM

Well done, I really like the flop c/r.

Going for the river overcall was definitely the best way to get paid from CO who probably has 2 pair or a set, and won't pay 2 bets (but will pay one).
Old 06-17-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going for the river overcall was definitely the best way to get paid from CO who probably has 2 pair or a set, and won't pay 2 bets (but will pay one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Raising here will fold the CO more often than not because he would fear getting capped again. Plus raising re-opens up betting to UTG+1. We are at best going to split the pot with UTG+1 and there is an off-chance we are beat by the flush costing us 2BB.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting and having CO raise on the flop isn't a disaster, but I wouldn't want it to happen. Checking/calling seems dumb, so check/raising seems like the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we want to keep as many people in as possible here - that is why you'd not like to see the CO raise a flop bet, and we'd rather keep people in with the C/R?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:03 PM

you're in perfect position to c/r this flop and trap the field. after he 3-bets, I would consider calling, planning to c/r the turn. of course, when the Q falls, I think you have to bet.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM

By checkraising we get a chance to trap two players instead of facing them with 2 bets before action is to them.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Makes sense. The discussion we were having was, with two opponents, do we fear being outdrawn, given the action and the board?

So checkraising makes sense if you are not concerned, betting out is what you do when you want to isolate the CO.