Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Passive played AQ when I flopped trips.

I openraise in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in an okey 10-20 seven-handed game online.

Sb cold-calls. I dont think hes that bad player and I was surprised that he cold-called. I dont think he is tricky so I am quite sure I have the lead over him. Big blind makes it three bets.

He has been shortstacked for a while and seems very passive. He brought in 100$, busted that. Took in another 50$ and have brought that up to 150 showing only AK and TT.

We both call. three to the flop for 3 bets each.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Sb checks, big blind bets, I call and sb folds.
turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets and I call. (planning to raise the river)

How did I do in this hand?
Old 12-27-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Passive played AQ when I flopped trips.

I would have raised the turn. Unless he's on a complete bluff, he's going to call this bet. Although he could be betting KK, AA, or even JJ, and may bet again on the river if you only call the turn, there is no guarantee that he will call your river raise for one more bet. In addition, if he's playing something like AK and attempting to push you off of the pot, there is no guarantee that he will pay even one BB on the river if his card doesn't fall. Consequently, get the extra bet from him now while he's still "live."
Old 12-27-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Passive played AQ when I flopped trips.

It looks like your opponent has a big pair or AK. If he has a big pair, raising the turn is better, since he might not bet the river since he is weak or choose to check and hope to induce a bluff from a possible spade draw. There is also the remote chance that he three-bets the turn with his big pair. Finally, you will often be raising the turn light for a free showdown or even the occasional semibluff, so you should do it with your monsters as well.

If he has AK, then waiting to the river to raise is the better play, unless he has specifically AsKs, because AK would probably fold to your turn raise, but will likely check-call on the end (hoping for the spade draw) or bluff bet the river.

Overall, I think a turn raise is the better play.