Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Probability of a borderline raising hand
Less than 5 percent 10 18.52%
5-10 percent 15 27.78%
10-20 percent 11 20.37%
20-35 percent 5 9.26%
35-50 percent 8 14.81%
More than 50 percent 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2004, 07:14 PM

Default The integrity of a Poker player

Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: The integrity of a Poker player

i only got 2 things in this life, my word and my balls, and i dont break em for no body!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:21 PM

Is it just me, or would you be more willing to lend $ to a fellow poker player than non player? Also, I think I would not have to ask multiple times from a poker player to collect upon a bet- whereas non poker friends would have to be pestered frequently to pay up. Maybe I'm just imagining things
Old 11-12-2004, 10:23 PM

I think its funny that everyone is saying how trustworthy they are and then they turn around and say that the avg poker player isn't as trust worth as a non poker player....

I don't trust these results.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:45 PM

Might be a clashing of superimposed self-imagery to enhance personal worth against the inherent generalizations of the "gambler's" lack of moral integrity?

I personally put little stock into self-evaluations, so the results of the poll are skewed IMO.

But hey, I just sounded like a complete douche so WTF do I know! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 AM

The thing is, the second question doesn't ask, "is the average poker player as trustworthy", it asks is the average poker player more trustworthy. (And it doesn't even specify more trustworthy than what).

I said no to the second, because I don't think the avg poker player is more (or less) trustworthy than anyone else. I think it depends completely on the individual, just like any other character trait would.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:14 AM

It depends/I don't care.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:38 AM

Most people here are not poker players, we're people who play poker. There is a difference and that difference means your poll is silly.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:39 AM

I wouldn't lend money to anyone who wasn't a close acquaintance or a good friend (depending on the amount). I would be more willing to lend money to a good player or a player with a reputation for honoring his deals than I would some of my good friends who are just terrible with money.

On the other hand, all other things being equal I would be less inclined to lend money to a poker player (whose short term income depends a good deal on luck) than a friend with a more dependable job. At the very least there are very few people, if any, that I would be prepared to lend 200BB to at any limit requiring a loan of money - and less (even that much, really) means that bad luck could wipe them out without much of a stretch before they could repay me.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:43 AM

I don't treat the average poker player as more or less dependable than anyone else.

For myself, I base a lot of my relationships on how much I can expect those around me to hold to their word - and, by extension, I would not abide being called (rightly) a hypocrite, and that is the main reason my own word holds so much weight with me.

(now I answered the first because while I have broken promises in the past it was always unintentional. I suppose I treat being forgetful or occasionally unintentionally unreliable as different from a lack of integrity - I always do my utmost to make up for my mistakes)