Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 PM

Default A&E Poker Show

There was a 1 or 2 hour show on A&E that followed the lives of 3 not well known tournament players. One of them owned a business, another was a successful online player, and the third was some guy taking time off work, and the special followed them as they traveled from tournament to tournament. At the end of the year they were all pretty much break even or had lost money. Does anyone remember the name of this show? I really want to see it. I saw it maybe two years ago. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: A&E Poker Show

It was called Poker Kings. It featured a bunch of pros, but concentrated on three. One was Robert Varkonyi; I think one was Garry Bush, who was at a WSOP final table in 2004 w/ Gavin Griffin and Gabe Thaler. I think the other was Simon Trumper, but I'm not certain. It was either Trumper or a guy named Carlo something (not Mortensen). I know Hellmuth, Moneymaker, and Devilfish were shown as well. It was pretty interesting, perhaps moreso at the time than now, and gave a good glimpse at how tough the poker pro's life can be.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Wow, yes. You own.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Another featured player was Robert Varkonyi, looking for a job after winning the ME in 2002. Carlo Citrone was another of the European pros featured, as well as Trumper. In the afterword it mentioned that Citrone got arrested and sentenced to time in prison for smuggling cigarettes.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the other was Simon Trumper, but I'm not certain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Simon. He had owned a successful business, let it run into the ground while he played poker. Had a lot of success playing poker, then had his luck turn, went bust, I think his wife left him...it all went bad pretty quickly.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM

Poker Kings