Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: so my professor threatened to throw me out of the class....

[ QUOTE ]
group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to a better university.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to a top US school, and it was the same way much of the time. It certainly would have been that way in Ecology 100.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to a top US school, and it was the same way much of the time. It certainly would have been that way in Ecology 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Batter up!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:53 AM

I say you call his bluff and skip the remaining classes.

Then in 10 years you can look back and realize how big a dumbass you were....
Old 10-20-2005, 09:58 AM

withdraw and take it again....
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also went to a pretty high ranked US Business school for undergrad and was amazed by the stupidity of my classmates at times when stuck doing group assignments (read: all the f'ing time). I have a friend going for his teaching degree right now and apparently they are telling all the teachers that coming up with a group assignment is better for students to learn than actually teaching them anything. This makes me want to kill people. Its meant to be at the high school level but college teachers seem to be following this theory as well.

If classes didn't have these damned group projects, or if they could be done mostly oustide of class, my attendance was closely linked with how often I needed to be there to receive a B+ or better in the class. Often this was 50% or less, even for classes in my major, so long as there was no attendance portion of the grade. I got a 3.6 for undergrad and I'm sure it could have been slightly higher if my attendance had been better and my social life worse, oh the humanity. As long as you can do well on the assignments, it shouldn't matter whether you attend as an undergrad, the goal is to have you learn your [censored], not be forced to go to some room all the time, isn't it. If the professor sucks at teaching, I'd much rather learn on my own.

To the OP, sounds like its time to start showing up, have a talk with the prof from your perspective, or bite the bullet and take the class again later.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM

Maybe he should just read the class requirements before signing up.

As to group projects, I think they are mostly used by business schools because the theory goes that you will actually gain some teamwork and communication skills through actual experience vs. just being lectured to on the subject.

Something tells me you needed to do a better job selecting groups as an undergrad. I never had problems finding competent group members in my top US undergrad business school. Maybe the climate has changed in the last 10 years though???
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM

1. OP, welcome to the real world, sometimes you have to do stuff you dont like or doesn't make sense

2. everyone else- op has a point in that the class is likely BS. people are getting way too bent out of shape about him missing a class that isnt in his major which is likely at a slow pace and boring.

3. even at the best 10 schools there are really dumb kids and classes with crappy discussion. most college kids are really dumb,

4. that said, just go and do well.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Second, you seem to equate attendance with education.

[/ QUOTE ]

you talk about ecology being a waste of time, etc. but this is not the first class OP has nearly failed in/had to withdraw from. didn't he say something like it's his 7th? that's pathetic. and OP, i don't need to know where you go to say it's a fake school because any place that graduates someone like you is a joke.

forgot to mentiont that labs are different than classes. i'm a biology and chemistry major and if we miss more than 1 lab per class, per semester, it's an automatic F. Weird, huh? It's like, they force you to learn and not be a complete dumb [censored].