Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: So I Kicked an Old Lady to the Curb Tonite (long)

I'm twenty so what the hell do I know.. but how about having one 'warning' conversation with grandma in private? Public comments at the dinner table are embarassing, and likely to antagonize her. Now she'll be aching for an opportunity to say something bad about you in 'revenge'. But then again, it sounds like she deserves what happens.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My grandpa asked me "So have you <censored> a girl yet?" this summer when my parents were temporarily out of the room.

I looked up, said "Excuse me?!" he said "What?" and i went back to watching TV. It was kind of awkward

[/ QUOTE ]

your grandpa sounds [censored] awesome

from your "excuse me?" response you sound decidedly non-awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think the mods were here to make us feel welcome and facillitate discussions. they're not.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grandpas dont seem to suck as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandpa asked me "So have you <censored> a girl yet?" this summer when my parents were temporarily out of the room.

I looked up, said "Excuse me?!" he said "What?, but thought "Jeez, he's still a little pussy," and i went back to watching TV. It was kind of awkward

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-17-2005, 11:25 AM

You demonstrated way more restraint than I would have shown.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 AM

You sound like a good guy with good intentions. I think you handled yourself well. Good write up.

GoT
Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Get the hell out of my house you ungrateful, rude old bat. We have you over to our house and all you do is insult us and our friends. Here's your stuff, there's the door. Out."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a way I can frame that? It ought to be immortalized, somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should really be on a welcome mat to put outside on your front porch.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I looked up, said "Excuse me?!" he said "What?" and i went back to watching TV. It was kind of awkward

[/ QUOTE ]

your grandpa sounds [censored] awesome

from your "excuse me?" response you sound decidedly non-awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think the mods were here to make us feel welcome and facillitate discussions. they're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

mods are actually just like us normies... just green
Old 12-17-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beautiful. Great lesson to teach your children: Bad behavior warrants worse behavior. Too bad your domicile is not in the tundra so the wolves could finish where you left off.

Next time, just laugh at her or ignore her. She's a lonely, bitter, frustrated, scared old lady faced with impending mortality; in other words, pitiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my kid was being a brat, he would be sent out of the room for timeout, and then a spanking if his behavior persisted (which is what happened with the fork throwing incident - he ended up getting a timeout first, and then a spanking because he wouldnt apologize). I gave her a chance to not make more rude comments by letting her know that I didnt appreciate them, and she made another one, clearly loud enough for everyone to hear. Just because she's old, cranky and has whatever other problems, doesnt mean she has the right to be rude to me, my family and my friends in my house at an event she wasnt really invited to in the first place. After sleeping on this, I feel much better about how I handled it.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm twenty so what the hell do I know.. but how about having one 'warning' conversation with grandma in private? Public comments at the dinner table are embarassing, and likely to antagonize her. Now she'll be aching for an opportunity to say something bad about you in 'revenge'. But then again, it sounds like she deserves what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the table at the time was me (my wife was upstairs with the kid in timeout), grandma, my buddy and his wife (the granddaughter) and their two little kids (one is 3 and the other is a baby). The other two couples were in the kitchen at the other table. This was about as private as could be. I'm not sure if the wife ever talked to grandma after I pulled my buddy aside, but if she didnt, then someone needed to say something.

Oh, and yes, the Lions suck, but they are the hometown team, so I inevitably root for them. Usually I have college football to fall back on, but UM isnt much better this year. I will be wearing orange tomorrow at the game though.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I so feel like Jihad right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This in no way resembles what Jihad did...