Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: \"Orange-Out\" in Detroit.

[ QUOTE ]
I am all about T-shirts that say Fire Millen that are bright and very noticable but I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that they picked Bright Orange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Security will shut down anyone with a Fire Millen sign or shirt. And 'words' don't work to well on tv. All Detroit fans should be feed up with what is going on there.
The NFL has finally returned the Superbowl, and this was supposed to be a contender team. with FOUR wins.

Great, the Jets fans all wore white to show unity with the team. But can anyone point to where fans are wearing the color of the visiting team? Then stop saying it was done before.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, I forgot about college ball. I know Duke has those people behind the basket who wear the ugly white/blue striped shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Duke alum, I'm proud to say I'm embarrassed by those people. I'm not a big fan of 'sponsored' or endorsed shirts, etc (Oh, boy! We'll let the university set this up for us!). The best (meaning loudest and rowdiest) student sections are those that come up with their own schtick.

I used to openly mock my brother and some of my friends who went to WFU when they instituted their Freakin' Deacon or Screaming Deacon or Dorking Deacon section. All students must attend a certain number of games, and must wear this specifically authorized t-shirt. G-hey.

FYI--Buffalo is trying the orange-out this weekend as well.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Interesting. But are the fans still cheering for the Lions? To the extent that they have been, anyway.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. But are the fans still cheering for the Lions? To the extent that they have been, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so, but on the CBS pre-game show today, it was reported that the plan is to "wear Bengal orange, and cheer for the opposing team". I hope this is wrong.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no way am I wearing a T-shirt of the opposing teams color.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You can not wear the colors of the opposing team to a home football game.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fantastic idea.

Although, the name needs work. They're just ripping off the Flyers ("Orange Crush" - 2004 playoffs) and Penn State ("White Out" - see PSU vs. tOSU).

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Orange Crush" was the 1977 Denver Broncos defense. This was the first Brocos team to go to the Super Bowl (first to the playoffs for that matter. The Broncos seriously sucked for most of there first 16 years). Unfortunately, they weren't good enough to beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. The Flyers or anyone else using that name are cheap knockoffs.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While not all reports of the “Orange-Out” have been supportive, the overwhelming response has been positive. Most understand that The Lions Fanatics encourage the fans to continue to support the team, while letting management know their disgust by wearing the orange shirts. Also, everyone should remember that the protest is designed to be "passive and non-disruptive" in order to concentrate the message on management, where it belongs, rather than on confrontational or unruly fans.

Some fans have questioned the use of orange as the shirt color and feel torn about wearing an opponent’s color. To these fans we explain, we aren’t asking you to wear a Bengals’ shirts, you can wear an orange Tigers’ shirt or support the players on the team from University of Texas with an orange Longhorns’ shirt.
Once again, this protest is not against the players, but the team’s management.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although, the name needs work. They're just ripping off the Flyers ("Orange Crush" - 2004 playoffs) and Penn State ("White Out" - see PSU vs. tOSU).

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck are you even talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone with JoePa as his avatar should know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what the White Out was. But the Orange Out isn't ripping off anything, especially not the Orange Crush that you think was invented by 2004 Flyers' fans. It is to send a message to the team management, not in support of the home team. It is not to "steal a cool name" from someone who stole it before.

Before you go around proclaiming these idiotic things, you should learn that history started before the 21st century. Sheesh. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 PM

so what happened with this? did 'fans' actually do this or not?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:31 PM

i was at the game and there was a lot of orange
probably 40% orange, 60% blue in ford field
at the bars around the stadium it seemed 99% orange

the stadium become more orange as the day went on, as lions fans in blue left the game because the lions suck.

I was surprised at the number of cincy fans who made the trip, there were a ton.