Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:19 AM

Default What\'s Next? (no hand or boobs in this thread)

And definitely no hand on boobs.

I've been studying a lot of poker lately. A lot. My plan was to start with general books (Theory of Poker, Psychology of Poker, Getting the Best of It), and then move on to hold'em books for a refresher. Then I was going to finally learn new games. But an interesting thing happened when I picked up King Yao's book. I already knew everything he was telling me. That's not to say my game is bulletproof, but at this point in time I don't feel like there is much more I can fit in my head about hold'em. I'd be better served to just keep on grinding, then revisit the books in a few months to touch up parts of my game.

That leads me to an interesting crossroads, one which I'll share with the rest of micros. So in this thread, tell us where you're at in your game, where you want to go, and what the next few steps are to get there?

Where I'm At: Winning limit hold'em player, able to supplement my income very well through winnings.
Where I'm Going: A middle limits Phil Ivey, Barry Greenstein, Chau Giang. I want to win at every game.
What's Next: I think a reasonable game to play next is Stud High. I'll use Roy West's book first, then move on to 7CSFAP. That'll take me a few months.

Any stud players in micros? I think I saw a stud forum around here somewhere, maybe I'll become a regular over there as well.

And because no thread is complete without a laugh at my expense, have a look at my poker library : http://www.paxosmotic.com/poker1.jpg
Old 10-06-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: What\'s Next? (no hand or boobs in this thread)

[ QUOTE ]

And because no thread is complete without a laugh at my expense, have a look at my poker library : http://www.paxosmotic.com/poker1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice rack![img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 AM

Your SSHE book is impressive! How many times have you read it?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The whole thing about seven times, with various sections up to five more. I'm known to quote it at parties to impress girls.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 AM

Your small stakes holdem book looks exactly like mine...they have both taken a beating [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Where I'm At: Winning at low limits in both Limit and No-Limit holdem
Where I'm Going: I would like to play high-stakes limit holdem.
Whats next: Grrrrinnnndddd away...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM

I started out playing 7stud using West's book. I can go ahead and summarize it for you if you like:

Be a Rock

blah blah blah something weak tight.

If you have even a modicum of skill and fast eyes to keep up with whats being folded, it's a gold mine playing pretty tight at the lower limits. It's very very boring though, and harder to multitable and keep track of dead outs. Most I could ever do at once comfortably was 2.

Towards the higher end of the Middle Stakes spectrum playing looser becomes a necessity due to the rake, so I'm told.

I say go for it. 7stud is fun for a while, and definently takes skill to master. It can get terribly boring though.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The whole thing about seven times, with various sections up to five more. I'm known to quote it at parties to impress girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 07:18 AM

Where I'm at: Trying to learn Holdem, Omaha/8 PL/L. So far so good with both but too early to tell yet. Time will eventually.

Where I'm going: Hopefully to higher and higher limits. Would like to learn all games as well because it'll make me a better player. Find stud very boring though so I don't think I'll be grinding it like I do Omaha or HE. Would like to try triple draw but don't even know where to begin with that. Any suggestions out there?

What's Next 6 Max .50/$1 Limit Holdem, then $50 NL Holdem. Keep hearing you can't make the move to higher limits until you become a winning player at 6-max so it seems like the next logical jump for me to make.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 AM

The only problem I'm finding with Stud is that I have no idea what to play. The hands that I think are strong are trips, good 3 flushes, good 3 straights, straight-flush combos maybe a gap or two, pairs with good kickers or high pairs with decent kickers. Those all combined come in like 12% of the time. That's just really, really tight.

I thought about skipping straight to 7CSFAP. I'll spend the next few minutes taking a look at that one.

Lau - Negreanu's triple draw section in SS2 is the only literature available on that game.

Basically, I'm looking to learn 'all' of the games, and I consider all of the games to be hold'em, stud, stud/8, PLO, O/8, 2-7 TD, razz, and draw.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 AM

My SSHE is getting kinda bad to but i got it banged up. So im taking it to Staples today to get spirral binded. It only costs like 4$. This way i can read at work easier. Im also doing this with Harringtons books.

Where I'm At: Winning low limits but starting over with small bankroll due to some finacial troubles.
Where I'm Going: Trying to get my bankroll reasonable.
What's Next: spend the next year grinding away.