Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: What\'s Next? (no hand or boobs in this thread)

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just stick with Hold em and move up the ladder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because to be a little more than blunt, hold'em [censored] sucks. Seriously. There's only 169 combinations of cards, over half of which I wouldn't play if you spotted me the chips. After that, the community cards come, and it's a pretty simple exercise in counting outs combined with profiling your opponent and putting them on a hand. To be a little more blunt, if you can't beat hold'em, you're not qualified to work at McDonalds. I can beat games much higher than I play, I'm just not rolled for them.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you buy SSHE used or wear it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wore it out, holmes. Great toilet reading. Thanks, Ed.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered making a small book review of all the hold'em books you have? We've mostly all read HoH, TOP, HFAP, and SSH (for abbreviation explanation, make a guesstimation) I'd like to know how good are the other not-so-well-known books on hold'em. Are they worth getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

View the hold'em books again. Not view them left to right. Not a coincidence. Beginner to advanced. That's my review.

Other things about books that I know and you don't know, let's see. Psychology of Poker is very good. Ace on the River is not. The High-Low Split books are very good. Caro's Book of Tells is not. Super System 2 is a good primer. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is the worst book I own.

[ QUOTE ]
Paxo - stud looks interesting, but have you considered trying omaha first? It's a little closer to holdem, but it feels like a whole new game. I've played that some in the nano-limits on stars and it's fun for a good change of pace.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did consider Omaha. Infact, I had an interesting conversation with Lautzutao about which path to take. I had the brain storm that I could take the path of hold'em -> PLO -> O/8 -> S/8 -> Stud. The reason is that PLO is hold'em with more cards, then O/8 is PLO with a low, then S/8 is another high/low game, then Stud is only the high. So each leads logically to the other. But Stud is just so sexy to me, and it's very complicated, so I'm just diving in, baby. I'll learn hold'em on one end, Stud on the other, and I'll meet in the middle with Omaha/8.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any stud players in micros? I think I saw a stud forum around here somewhere, maybe I'll become a regular over there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stud forum is probably the friendliest forum on 2+2. From what I gather, many of the players have worked their way up from the nanolimits to mid or high limit games, so there's lots of knowledge about how each limit plays.

If you get started at very low limits, I'd recommend pretty much any site other than Party because their ante structure is stupid.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guruman,

I was in a similar spot about a month ago. I was advised to start playing 1/2 6max rather than drop to .5/1 due to the rake and quality of play not being much different. Playing 6 max is recommended before going to 2/4 full. Be sure and read the baby steps to 6max thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, maybe I'll just drop from two to one table for the time being while I get acclimated.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:21 PM

Where I'm At: .5-1 full ring, about +1.5 BB/100
Where I'm Going: Just read SSHE, trying for a win rate from 3-5 BB/100 (my definition of crushing the game)
What's Next: Once I achieve that win rate try double tabling, then 6 max, 6 max doubles and once I can sustain a decent win rate at all those move up.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guruman,

I was in a similar spot about a month ago. I was advised to start playing 1/2 6max rather than drop to .5/1 due to the rake and quality of play not being much different. Playing 6 max is recommended before going to 2/4 full. Be sure and read the baby steps to 6max thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, maybe I'll just drop from two to one table for the time being while I get acclimated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely that won't change much. Most people can concentrate well enough to play 2 tables at once. PM me if you would like me to sweat you for a couple sessions.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you guys read a lot. I have read SSH once + extra and HPFAP once. That is all. Mostly I use the forums. I do definitely need to do more reading though

Where I'm At: Winning? 5/10 SH after 12k hands, but more importantly, feeling like I belong there.
Where I'm Going: Stick around here for a while, hopefully win enough to build an oversized roll and also fund my education. Also, I will need to buy my gf an engagement ring one of these days, so basically I guess my goal is just win a shitload and move on up.
Whats next:Eventually I would like to at least beat the 15 game. Also I want to go back to playing full so that I can play full or SH at a high level.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Where I'm at: Party 1/2 full and 6-max
Where's I'm going: Able to consistently beat 3/6 full and 6-max. Be able to beat the same limits for Omaha hi/lo and eventually stud (maybe 5/10 for hi/lo).
What's next: Lots more hands, bonus whoring, and hi/lo to pump the bankroll. Oh, and learning how to play stud.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And because no thread is complete without a laugh at my expense, have a look at my poker library : http://www.paxosmotic.com/poker1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sexy.