Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 AM

Default non-nut boat with unlimited heads-up betting

At the local B & M the Bad Beat Jackpot is over $100,000 and the fish are out and feeding. I'm in seat one and seat five is as loose as they come. He's passive until he makes his crazy hand, then he raises. He's shown down 23o UTG, K4s where he made top pair, 45s where he bet the river despite missing the board. He will call one raise pre-flop no matter what. The only time I saw him raise pre-flop, and I think it was after the below hand, was with pocket tens. You need aces full beaten by quads or better for a jackpot. I'm not sure if he has a read on me, but I've been playing tight, getting good cards and sets, folding when I'm behind.

I have deuces in the hole in earlier position than him, though I don't recall where. The table lets me limp and I flop a set. The board is 289 rainbow. I bet, get a few callers, including seat five. Turn is a queen, bet again and get called, maybe one other caller besides seat five. River is another queen. I bet, he raises. The last other player folds, I re-raise. he four bets. Since we're heads up there is no limit on the number of raises and re-raises. Five bets? or call? if five bets, six? where do you stop if he comes along? I had $60 behind and he had about $40.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: non-nut boat with unlimited heads-up betting

You have the worst possible boat here. I'm not putting in a fifth bet here most likely. Five betting opens you up to getting six-bet by any better boat, so you're pretty much risking two to win one.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:14 AM

I probably 5-bet and call a 6th bet. I don't have any reasoning to support that decision, but I feel like I want to put more bets in against a guy as clueless as this. He may think his trip queens are good since you showed aggression on the flop -- of course, he also may have forgotten who was betting way back then.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:16 AM

I've been through that horrible experience, I have made it a point to not 5- bet unless I have the stone- cold nuts.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: non-nut boat with unlimited heads-up betting- RESULTS

Here are the results (in white)

<font color="white"> I figured he could have 88 99 Q9 Q8 or Q2 for a bigger boat; so I just called the 4 bet. he showed a str8. After the hand he said "what did you think I had, quad queens" I pointed out other things he could have had and he said "Oh." So I think that he would've called more bets if I had the guts.</font>
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 AM

Good job educating him after the hand. Maybe he can play better next time.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM

doubt it; i didn't tell him how to play his cards, I just told him some other hands that could have been from that board. it was a this particular hand type thing rather than an "here's how you should play your cards in the future."
Old 12-24-2005, 01:54 AM

I play it the same. Ni han