Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM

Default I open 72o UTG get 3bet by tiltboy and call down my bottom pair.

Small site

20/40 10 handed

Table has a few tight players I haven't seen much from over 40+ hands since I sat down. Villain in this hand is on major tilt. Bluff raised me on my river lead earlier with T4o UI after decent action each earlier street. 3-bets light and caps lighter. Maybe 40/30/2 ? Couple other mediocre players, not really much to worry about. I called him down earlier with J high after I missed a flush draw and lost. We've been in a few pots and I've won maybe 3/4 of them but he doesnt stop betting.

I pick up black 72 UTG and open.

Tiltboy 3 seats behind me 3-bets.
SB who just sat down a couple hands ago and posted UTG+1 cold-calls two and a half.
I call.

Flop: 3 2 T r (1 heart)

SB checks, I bet, tiltboy raises(as expected), SB calls and I start getting a sinking feeling.

Turn: K h

check, check, Tiltboy bets, SB folds, I call.

River: 4 s

check, Tiltboy bets, I call.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: I open 72o UTG get 3bet by tiltboy and call down my bottom pair.

"Flop: 3 2 T r (1 heart)"

LOL
Old 11-25-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It's relevent because the turn was a second heart. Hence continuation bets are more likely for some hands and less likely for other holdings which villain could have.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pick up black 72 UTG and open.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. nh. Personally, I only play red 72 UTG.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It's relevent because the turn was a second heart. Hence continuation bets are more likely for some hands and less likely for other holdings which villain could have.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that continuation bets are equally likely from all villains hands on all boards, given the description. Hence, the comedy.

For me, the best part is imagining someone good enough to make all the subtle realizations about how his opponents are playing... this guy caps light... this guy is mediocre, no threat... only to conclude that the best play is to raise UTG with 72!

This has to be a joke.

-Eric

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 11-25-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that continuation bets are equally likely from all villains hands on all boards, given the description. Hence, the comedy.

For me, the best part is imagining someone good enough to make all the subtle realizations about how his opponents are playing... this guy caps light... this guy is mediocre, no threat... only to conclude that the best play is to raise UTG with 72!

This has to be a joke.

-Eric

my 2 cents.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 01:07 PM

unfortunately its not a joke....doh...that can't say too much good about me.

so I do have some fairly specific thoughts on how this guy plays--mostly cause he is on major tilt and i've seen him do a lot of silly stuff over the course of the session so far.

however the rest of the table is primarily unknowns. they are primarily pretty tight so if one of them 3-bets me its a pretty easy flop check-fold.

Preflop:
--------

when I raised here I really did not want this guy involved.
Given his recent performance I'd guess I have about a 20% chance he will 3-bet me after i raise UTG.

once he 3-bet i was like man this didnt work out too well--what a waste of 3SB. Then the SB called two and I was liking my situation even less.

Feel free to give input on the preflop--its not something I do a lot of. But I def have done it more than once. Maybe once every 3-400 hands or so. Is this a no-no at anything but the tightest tables? Am I strictly aiming to steal the blinds? If it is to impact shania at all then occassionally there must be some postflop play and a showdown at least sometimes, right?

I have heard someone say do it only with your absolute trash, and mentally decide before the hand to play it like its the nuts. That seems like a recipe for spewage and it hasnt worked out to well for me the couple times I've tried it.

I've also heard that its better to pick something like K2s that has some potential showdown value to play this way.

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Postflop:
----------

PF raise , getting 3-bet and seeing the SB call 2.5 cold is obviously very discouraging giving my modest holding. However, the flop texture was pretty decent for me...if I was HU via tiltboy alone. Having just seen the SB post UTG+1 4 hands previously I didn't expect him to be super solid but saw I had hit a pair and decided my best course of action was to bet and let tiltboy face the SB with two bets and see if I had a shot at anything.

The SB calls two more on the flop getting 6:1 for his money and now I feel I'm really screwed.

Turn comes a king and I give up. I def can't overcall but as soon as the SB folds I start getting flashbacks of the time this guy bluff raised me with T4o UI on the river and decided it was possible he was bluffing. On the other hand a lot of his 3-betting hands either contain a K or already have me beat. I'm getting 8.5:1 on the turn call itself but I know I will have to call a river bet as well. So 5.75:1 if I call both turn and river bets. If I had to guess (just my gut talking here) I'd guess I'm good maybe 30% of the time here.

I am really curious as to how I am supposed to analyze this kind of scenario and make the right decision postflop.

Here's what I know...

On the turn:
I felt the king was a horrible card for me but I also didnt feel his bet necessarily meant much. The pot is giving me 8.5:1. Drawing to my 5 outs I would need 9.4:1. Given there is a chance I am still ahead this call seems OK to me. Is this right or wrong?

I think my 5 outs are clean.

Not knowing what he has, but knowing how poorly i feel about my own hand I wouldn't like to call a river bet if a Q or A fell on the river. So do I call those 8 outs for him?

Its when I put both the turn and river into the analysis and start talking about his outs vs. my outs that I get confused.

Any pointers?

Thx in advance.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any pointers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inherit.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any pointers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Inherit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pointer for you...dont be such a jerk.

I'm coming here humbly asking for help. I played a hand very questionably and want to know just how wrong I was.

Even if the consensus is something like "You still suck enough postflop you should never raise 72o UTG ever again" thats fine. I'm here to learn.

I asked some legit questions about how to analyze the turn and river decisions and hope to learn form this thread.

I'm admitting all the stuff I dont know and taking the time to write out my best guesses as to how to analyze the situation...if you dont want to help me out then dont click reply.