Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Party NL100 compared to NL200?

Well I started playing NL on tuesday... I've put in like...15k hands since then... This has been an absolute cakewalk. 15%vpip nut peddling + stabbing at passive pots has returned me 5-6PTBB/100 I started 8 tabling half way through day 1... 4 tables was just way too slow for me.

Its very possible that I'm running well. I havent been playing NL long enough to really be able to tell...I have had a fair amount of bad beats, but i dont know if i've recieved my full share yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, i'm curious how the 200NL compares? I still plan on putting about 30k more hands in at NL100. If the results are the same as they have been, I'll most likely be moving up. Will I need to start pumping up my vpip/pfr to try to get more action? Or is TAG nut peddling still a viable strategy?

Thx all,
DCW
Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Party NL100 compared to NL200?

there should be a FAQ on this

basically it's better to just take a shot and feel it. you will seldom face a significant change of skill levels between 2 connected levels. For multitablers, try mixing in 1 or 2 tables of the stake you are taking shot in and play normally, and see how you do.

you will most likely succeed.. just keep playing solid poker
Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

basically it's better to just take a shot and feel it. you will seldom face a significant change of skill levels between 2 connected levels. For multitablers, try mixing in 1 or 2 tables of the stake you are taking shot in and play normally, and see how you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx man [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm used to shorthand limit...3/6 to 5/10 is a massive jump...5/10 to 10/20 is a massive jump. I didnt know if NL was the same way...lol.

I like your idea though. I'll probably give it a shot.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:48 AM

listen to allinlife, he's a pro.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm suprised you mention mixing stakes at the same time while multi-tabling. Do you not think this can lead to some mistakes and less perfect play?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 AM

DCWG, you're a monster, are you chained to your computer?

Anyways, I have been playing NL50 in the 5-6 PTBB/100 range. I'm new to these forums and to the poker community. how good is that? My sense is that it's "pretty good" but not that great. I still make plenty of dumb plays when I am winning and starting to loosen up.

Would appreciate view on how really good players would benchmark their performance.

btw, I have found 25 and 50 to basically be same in terms of quality (usually). There are plenty of absolutely shocking calls. I plan to go to 100 soon, expect I might even be better since it helps to remove the unwise-call tendency with more $ on table
Old 11-19-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm suprised you mention mixing stakes at the same time while multi-tabling. Do you not think this can lead to some mistakes and less perfect play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi-tabling ALWAYS leads to less than perfect play, but you multi-table to maximize your EARN, not your play.

With that said, I do the same thing. Have 1 or 2 tables that I'm "taking a shot at" while I have the other 2-3 at my "normal" limit. It has worked out fine so far(despite the downswing I encountered at 50NL 6-max... -4 buyins really hurt!). But this is the best way to get acclimated to the stakes instead of just playing forever at one limit, then just all of a sudden jumping up. It helps when you are used to a $7 continuation bet instead of jumping from a $3 continuation bet with air to a $7 cont. bet with air. It can affect your play.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:49 AM

I wasn't refferring to perfect play, just making more mistakes than normal and playing overall less well. I guess the same concept of increasing earn can still be applied here.

If I had one table open of 5/10 NL and 7 of 2/4 NL, I might do something stupid and open for $35 for example. These are the kinds of mistakes I was talking about. Plus the play at the different limits varies greatly. It is tough when playing 8+ tables of NL to differentiate from one to the other. I usually look at my hand, glance at my position, and press the fold button if I am going to fold and move on to the next table if I might play and wait for the action to get to me before I decide what to do.

So maybe my point is that the mistakes are a little more costly when mixing stakes than just regular multi-tabling, but that might be made up for with your extra earn from higher stakes.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:28 AM

I'd avoid moving til you've been thru at least your planned number of hands. Handling a 6 buyin downswing at 200NL is hard (being $1200) but somehow at 100NL it seems manageable. I have one of these around 3 times a month on average and have had one 12 buy in downswing too.

I think bad runs are an essential thing to experience at each level of play. You need to face them and recover so that when they happen higher up you are more confident that they are just variance and not bad play.

Just a thought
Old 11-19-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd avoid moving til you've been thru at least your planned number of hands. Handling a 6 buyin downswing at 200NL is hard (being $1200) but somehow at 100NL it seems manageable. I have one of these around 3 times a month on average and have had one 12 buy in downswing too.

I think bad runs are an essential thing to experience at each level of play. You need to face them and recover so that when they happen higher up you are more confident that they are just variance and not bad play.

Just a thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isnt an issue and doesnt really effect my play. I've made quite a bit playing limit...a 1600 downswing wont phase me in the least :P

Discipline is one thing I'm not lacking in at all. Skill, however... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]