Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 03:48 PM

Default small pairs in Stud 8

I've typically been playing these according to the way Todd Brunson recommends, i.e. if I can see 4th street cheaply and they are connected - e.g. 344, 667 etc, then I do, but I want to develop something on 4th street by picking up two pair or a connected low card before I'll continue.

I've recently lost a lot of pots to people playing things like 366, or even 227. Are there circumstances where it is right to play hands like this?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: small pairs in Stud 8

sure. when you're the bringin and no one completes [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 06:07 PM

yes. it totally depends on the game you are in. things to consider are:

the ante
your opponents
liveness of your cards
the doorcards
Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 PM

thanks for the replies guys

to take an example.

Lets say I am playing $3/6 with a 50c ante. Assume I amn't the bring in and that either somebody has completed with a low card, or there are multiple low cards to act and hands are generally completed.

Apart from the occasional bluffs, are there any reasons why I shoudln't muck a hand like 477?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 PM

It sounds like you are playing these types of hand waaay too much. I basically have stopped playing hands like this and usually only raise with them when I am in a steal position and it is likely I will be heads-up in the pot. I really dont feel they have much value other than in the situation I described. You should also lean towards playing the higher pairs. i.e. not 227, more like 668 and 55A and such.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 PM

if your hand is (33)8, you have no hand, and I would consitently muck it. You are 20-1 to hit the 3 on 4th. (If the hand is (66) 7, and have a two flush, the hand is more valuble, but still not worth a lot. If you always muck it you wont be giving up much. If your kicker is an ace, say (4A)4 the hand can be played and even raised. You are about even money vs. kings
Old 10-25-2005, 10:52 PM

you are of course not mathmatically even with Ks, about 60/40, but you frequently will muck when losing and getting paid when hitting, evening out the odds a bit