Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Does Torre get fired if Yankees lose game 7?

Lots of teams spent a lot of money in past year with little effect: the Orioles and Dodgers come to mind.

But look at what Steinbrenner did this year: They lost Clemens, Pettitte, and Wells who won 52 game last year. How many teams losing 3/4 of their starting rotation have won 101 games the following year? They got El Duque back, rehabilitated Leiber, and got 24 wins out of Brown/Vasquez.
Tom Gordon was a lifesaver. They had a weakness in right field and they got a great year out of Sheffield. Miguel Cairo hit .290 and played well. And the new third baseman wasn't bad.

They recognized their needs and got quality players to fill them.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:11 AM

They recognized their needs and got quality players to fill them.

Cmon!

Signing Bill Mueller is seeing a need and filling it with a quality player.

Taking a chance by signing Jon Leiber is risky/good GM work.

Getting Kevin Brown/Javier Vasquez/Alex Rodriguez/Gary Sheffield in ONE offseason is a tad overboard IMO and covers up mistakes that would DOOM most teams(giambi/contreras).

EDIT: I will concede that Brain Cashman is a good GM, but the NYY have amargin for error that FAR exceeds any other team.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what others think on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is, in the 8th inning, with 2 men on, and the winning run on 1B - why wasn't Kenny Lofton running for Ruben Sierra? Torre has done some strange things in this series by not using his bench.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:15 AM

You don't think Brown was a mistake himself?

Sure, almost anyone's better than Jeff Weaver the choke artist, but Brown is way too fragile to rely upon these days. How much of the season did he miss for the Yankees?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:16 AM

They gave up a very good player for A-Rod. The Sox tried to get A-rod but screwed it up. Vasquez was a deal worked out with the MLB-owned Expos. And Weaver won more games with the Dodgers than Brown did with the Yankees. Sheffield was a free agent who apparently wanted to come to work for the Yankees, supposedly negotiating the deal directly with Steinbrenner, bypassing his own agent and Cashman.

Obviously, having $ solves a lot of trouble. But you still have to be smart.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 AM

Not one substitution in the line-up for 35 innings now.

Sierra runs pretty good, BTW. And he's a smarter runner than Lofton, who took stupid pills before he got to the majors. (BTW, it was the 9th inning, and it was the tying run on 1st base.)

However, I would have hit for Clark. Yeah, I know, they don't have another first baseman, but Clark is the last guy I wanted to see up with a chance to do something. He's awful. Note that he struck out on an 89 MPH fast ball right down the middle.

Bernie's at bat was particularly terrible in the 9th inning. He knows Foulke is going to pitch him away, yet he doesnt look for anything away. When it got to two strikes, I told my son, watch, he's going to strike him out with a change-up. If I know it's coming, how come Bernie didn't?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 AM

Obviously, having $ solves a lot of trouble. But you still have to be smart.

Ohh no doubt they are a well run business, I just think that the free spending and future mortgaing WILL catch up with them.

Lowe vs Brown in game 7

Who has the more fragile state of mind? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Taking a chance by signing Jon Leiber is risky/good GM work.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think this particular move was a risky as people may think. TJ surgery has been proven to be very successful. The Yankees are one of the few teams able to spend the money though on a player that won't play for an entire year.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 AM

You're right about the 9th inning.

I don't care if Sierra runs the bases "better", he can't be faster than Lofton, and most likely that speed would be needed on a double into the gap.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, and you're right, Tony Clark sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Every Red Sox fan had to get a little worried when he was batting though....if he had hit one out, as a former Sox bust...wow.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every Red Sox fan had to get a little worried when he was batting though....if he had hit one out, as a former Sox bust...wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right on this one. The only savin grace was that we realized it was only game 6. If it had been a game 7, my heart and stomach would have been in my throat.

This Sox team is not our father's team though. They've showed heart and resiliency. Even if they fall short in Game 7, they have made the post season a hell of a ride. Hoping tomorrow night is just as dramatic, even if it means a possible heart attack.