Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Party-----2/4 vs. 3/6-----PERPLEXED

Maddening experience I'm having in my attempt to move from 2/4 to 3/6 10-handed limit games. (I've been playing the 2/4 and 3/6 bad beat jackpot tables.)

My 2/4 and 3/6 play over the past week exemplifies the problem. I made ~$400 over about 3 days playing 2/4, then I lost ~$650 playing 3/6 over the next 3 days. (Assume I played roughly 10-15 hours during both periods.) This scenario has happened 3-4 times-----make a few hundred playing 2/4, then switch to 3/6 and give it all back. I don't have PokerTracker stats to throw out (yet), but you get the picture.

CAN 3/6 REALLY BE THAT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM 2/4? IS THIS NORMAL VOLATILITY? IS THE SAMPLE SIZE TOO SMALL TO DRAW A CONCLUSION? WHAT'S THE DEAL? THIS IS DRIVING ME F-ING CRAZY.

Responses greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Party-----2/4 vs. 3/6-----PERPLEXED

***STAMP***
Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 AM

This means nothing. I won a couple hundred Monday, lost a couple hundred Tuesday, won $150 last night....That doesn't mean Tuesdays are tougher. It just means I played poker.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 AM

First thing's first, great name. Do you know why women wear pendants?

Second thing, the same thing happened to me. 3/6 is harder, but you have a small sample size. A good way to get acclimated to it that I still do (especially w/out ptracker in Scotland) is to play 2/4 on the week and 3/6 on the weekends when the fish are out en force. Hopefully this helps.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 AM

We had some discussions on this earlier this week and I thought goodguy had some thought-provoking comments.

2/4 vs. 3/6
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Don't play too many hands in a short period of time when you start a new limit. You need time to think about the previous hands inbetween new hands, and need more time to figure out the adjustments to make in the new game.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:35 PM

If this is any help, I have been having a good run on $2/$4 and decided to try some $3/$6 the 6 hours, I 2 tabled I won at 3/6 and lost at 2/4 (I know I know 6 hours is nothing) but what I did notice is that there is a better quality of player @3/6 often I would see everyone fold to the BB, @ 2/4 that almost NEVER happens ... of course the blind structure of 1/3 makes a difference here.
anyway I am rambling,

Regards D
Old 03-10-2005, 06:46 PM

The biggest difference I've seen between 3/6 & 2/4 is that 3/6 tends to reward good postflop play (and punish poor postflop play) much more than the lower limits. With the higher percentage of loose/passives on 2/4, you can generally get away with some bad habits in your postflop play, as long as your starting hand selection is good. This is less true on 3/6.

If you have not done so already, I would highly suggest reading both Small Stakes Hold'Em and Hold'Em for the Advanced Player. When you can understand the concepts laid out in these books, and more importantly, understand when to apply them and how to use them to recognize what your opponent is doing, 3/6 becomes a whole lot easier to beat.

And, yes....this is also normal volatility and your sample size is too small. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would highly suggest reading both Small Stakes Hold'Em and Hold'Em for the Advanced Player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone else agree? HPFAP for Party $3/6? I own it, but haven't considered studying it yet since SSHE and ToP seem to have covered the micros through $2/4 quite nicely. Always thought HPFAP was mid-stakes (e.g. $15-30+).

Comments appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would highly suggest reading both Small Stakes Hold'Em and Hold'Em for the Advanced Player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone else agree? HPFAP for Party $3/6? I own it, but haven't considered studying it yet since SSHE and ToP seem to have covered the micros through $2/4 quite nicely. Always thought HPFAP was mid-stakes (e.g. $15-30+).

Comments appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely worth a read. I read it back when I was playing 1/2 and it helped my game. As long as you can avoid FPS the book will help you at any limit.