Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 11:45 AM

Default NLH - Interesting situation for Presto

So, 14 players in the Pokerstars $500 buyin monthly NLH tourney. 437 started, about a million chips in play. Average stack is about T75K, which is just about what I have. 7 players at a table. Blinds are T3K,T6K with an ante (I forget what it was, but the antes are kinda small on Pokerstars compared to WSOP or other venues).

I'm in the cutoff seat. 3 players fold, and I have 55. Behind me on the button is a very aggressive player with almost T100K, and the SB is also very aggressive and has something like T125K. BB is nowhere near as aggressive, and has fewer chips than me, something like T45K.

Folded to you, what do you do, and why?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: NLH - Interesting situation for Presto

I'd likely fold because it's too likely you'll be reraised and presto is tough when you miss the flop. If you get reraised chances are good you're in a coinflip situation and I think you can wait for a better spot to get a large portion of your stack in.

P.S. Personally I don't think I'd fold, but I think folding is the better play.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:01 PM

Well, I imagine you raised with this. The ole 3-4x BB thing. Watching you play earlier on another table when you had the table's biggest stack, you raised virtually everytime it was folded to you in LP and I'm thinking you didn't have a hand as good as 55 every time you stole. So I can't imagine you passing on presto.

Now, what to do if re-raised by one of the aggressive players who will be suspecting you of being your thieving self. They could have anything on a resteal. This is where I have trouble and probably would have meekly folded on the big dog/small favorite premise. But you could come over the top and go all-in and really put the re-stealer to the test if they did it with a less than premiumn hand. My guess is this is what you did and the guy had a real hand that either had you beat preflop or drew out on you.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:01 PM

My first instinct is that you hand is too good to fold. But if you play it, it seems like you are likely going to be either a) winning the blinds or b) putting all your chips in preflop. Is there any chance a limp will induce more limpers?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:50 PM

My first choice would be to make a standard raise to 3X the BB. If you get re-raised, you have enough chips that you can lay it down; if you had fewer chips, then my first choice would be all-in.

All-in would be my second choice. Obviously, this is more likely to pick up the blinds, but you are risking your entire stack and you are either going to be a small favorite or a huge dog if anyone plays.

Of course, 90% of what I know about no-limit I've learned from reading your posts and others on this forum, so I feel a little silly replying.

Final thought--I hope you didn't get re-raised by AK, and find yourself ahead on the flop, only to lose to a broadway straight. That would be a very tough break.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:09 PM

Default I\'ll recuse myself...

...except to add that I was watching Greg's table, and there was a fair amount of reraising going on preflop, especially from a couple of very aggressive players.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 PM

This might sound crazy, but you could limp.

If the button or SB raises, be prepared to go all-in and hope for the best.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:43 PM

You haven't seen Fossilman play. He aint limpin.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:59 PM

Considering the very aggressive players and amount of re-raising at the table it seems like all-in to win the blinds or fold, although I really would prefer to see a flop. Is 55 where you want to take a final stand?! Perhaps a limp or raise planning to call a re-raise is the play that might leave you with some chips if forced to fold, as I'd rather stick around for more money in this tourney (but one would have to make at least 9th for a bigger payoff).

If I were in my right mind I'd LIMP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] or give it a standard raise. I ain't goin out on a measly pair o 5s! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Your 14th place finish makes me thimk you went all-in and got outdrawn. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 03:24 PM

That close to the end I would fold. I don't like to get involved with small pairs, as they are in a quagmire as to what to do unless you successfully steal the blinds with them. With a big, aggressive stack behind you I can't see getting involved.

al