Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2003, 10:05 AM

Default NLH - One of the worst bets I\'ve seen

Other bets may have been worse than this, simply because they were hopeless and busted the player out, i.e, the penalty was more severe. However, this is one of the stupidest bets I recall in a long time, though that may be due to faulty memory as much as anything else. It just stood out.

We've been getting a LOT of new players in the Tuesday night NLH tourney at Foxwoods. And most of them are pretty bad, in one way or another.

So, last night, I'm watching this guy in the 6 seat from my 10 seat. He's exhibiting classic Caro tells of strength. He's pursing his lips, and whistling so quietly you can't hear it. He's looking off into space like he's completely uninterested in the hand, but occasionally looking back out of the corner of his eye. Hmmm. Wonder what all this means coming from him? I'm out of the hand preflop, so it's all academic for me.

Flop is AdKh9d.

This guy checks, somebody bets, gets called, guy calls. Turn is Ks. Guy checks, flop-bettor checks, button bet almost the amount of the pot, guy calls, other player folds.

River is 7d. Guy now bets T100 into what has become a T2000 pot, while having about T2000 in his stack, and his lone opponent holding about T1500. ??? What does this mean? Given his tells, I'm thinking he has a full house or better, is hoping the opponent has just made a flush, and thinks this small bet will reak of fear and induce an all-in raise. Opponent quickly calls, and guy says "flush", showing the Jd5d. Opponent mucks KQ face-up, and says "who didn't know that".

Well, I sure didn't know. That has got to be the worst bet ever. He makes a terrible call on the turn (truly horrible, IMO) for about T600, and then bets T100 when he gets there? Either bet the opponent all-in, or check and induce a mistaken bet. Why ensure that he won't bluff or even mistakenly value-bet the river? And if he is full, he's going all-in whether you check, bet T100, or make a real bet.

Guy was new to the table just a couple of hands prior to this. His later play made it clear that this hand was not a genius play that was over my head.

Welcome to Foxwoods! Please come back soon!

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-16-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: NLH - One of the worst bets I\'ve seen

I saw 2 of the worst plays I've ever seen in a tourney last night that I posted a question about below. (the bad plays were unrelated to my post)

4 handed now - pays 3 spots: SB has T4800, BB just posted T400 and has T280 left. UTG has T460 and goes all-in. I have T1660 and fold crap. SB folds.

BB folds for T60 more! And he wasn't disconnected.

--------------------

A few hands later, just got two handed between me and big stack. I have T1000 left and then post my 400 BB. Big stack folds and then proceeds to fold his next 4 small blinds and lets me raise my next 4 small blinds uncontested!

I was down to T600 and he let me win 9 straight hands.

Weird.

Regards,
Jamie

Old 07-16-2003, 01:00 PM

Online I keep seeing players fold to alli-in bets for a tiny raise equal to or less than the blond they've posted. You want to smack them. The other thing that annoys me is that so many of them have no concept of checking it down -they will happily bet into a dry sidepot with queen high or a gutshot draw when checked to, giving the all-in fellow the best possible chances of surviving. I've started keeping notes on them so I can call them down with a bad pair, sometimes even ace high. Obviously how they play is up to them, but they're putting everyone including themselves at a disadvantage.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:46 PM

I saw a lot of the same weak play both last night and in the Act I I played in this afternoon. More than once I wished I were still in the hand with any two cards just so I could punish them [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The best of the worst at my original table was the guy who played 2/3 of the hands, loved calling all-in raises preflop with suited connectors, and basically rivered his way to towers of chips by the end of the rebuy period, only to give them all back in the next two rounds.

This was my first try at the Tuesday night event since March (my day job in Mass gets in the way), but I managed to hang on for 5th, my best finish at Foxwoods yet. So, a tip of the cap to you and all the others here at 2+2; the best education in poker short of a personal coach.

Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to talk to you in person, but now at least I think I know who you are (were you in the 8 seat at the pot-limit game?).
Old 07-16-2003, 09:40 PM

Congrats.

I was in the 9 seat, playing 10-handed. I had the large stack of chips and two fossils.

I also came by the final table when 6-handed, so I must have seen you without knowing it. I razzed Satish about how he should ask you guys for a deal where you give him 6th place money.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-16-2003, 10:04 PM

I was in the 2 seat. Satish and I tangled a few times before the final table and I got the best of him every time. I joked with him before we sat down at the FT that he shouldn't mess with me because I was afraid payback would be a bitch. It came when I raised with ATo and he called all-in from the big blind with KQo and outflopped me paying me back for doing the same to him (My KT vs. his AJ)at the earler table.