Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:29 AM

Default I got Stuffy in a Low-Limit Game and Regretted it.. Thoughts?

So I'm waiting for a 10/20 or 20/40 seat at the muck and I'm playing 1-5 spread limit 7stud just for the eff of it. A couple guys who came together are chatting a bunch on the far side of the table and I notice that one of them who is on a cold wave of cards and has begun showing his crappy hole-cards to the guy on his left before folding on 3rd st. I bite my tounge the first time I see it. Now, a second time I see him do this, his buddy calls, I look down and have a playable 3-flush so I call the guy out for showing his friend his cards and demand to know what he folded. The dealer makes him tell the table, two of the cards were my suit and I folded.

The game lost all it's charm after that. Now, it's just 1-5 spread limit stud; should I gear down when playing lower and be more chill? It was just automatic for me. I felt wierd about it afterwards.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: I got Stuffy in a Low-Limit Game and Regretted it.. Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm waiting for a 10/20 or 20/40 seat at the muck and I'm playing 1-5 spread limit 7stud just for the eff of it. A couple guys who came together are chatting a bunch on the far side of the table and I notice that one of them who is on a cold wave of cards and has begun showing his crappy hole-cards to the guy on his left before folding on 3rd st. I bite my tounge the first time I see it. Now, a second time I see him do this, his buddy calls, I look down and have a playable 3-flush so I call the guy out for showing his friend his cards and demand to know what he folded. The dealer makes him tell the table, two of the cards were my suit and I folded.

The game lost all it's charm after that. Now, it's just 1-5 spread limit stud; should I gear down when playing lower and be more chill? It was just automatic for me. I felt wierd about it afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's real money, and you have the right to insist that other players follow the rules.

Just be sure to be tactful and polite about it. Nothing kills the charm of a game more than an [censored] table cop.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the guy out for showing his friend his cards and demand to know what he folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like they weren't aware that they were doing anything wrong. Explain it politely the first time, including the show one, show all rule and why it is not fair to show your cards to one player who is still in the game. If it happens again, then demand to see the cards.

[ QUOTE ]
The game lost all it's charm after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

At lower limits, you never want the image of someone who takes the game too seriously. It can make the others take the game more seriously. People who are having a good time don't mind losing a few bucks. They see it as the price of entertainment.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:08 PM

Dude, it's 1-5 stud. It's not a poker game.

Relax next time and don't ruin the flow of a social, friendly game.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM

How could you have ruined the game by insisting on basic rules? It felt bad because they were oblivious to it. It's like yelling at a dog. Maybe just mention it next time, like suggesting to the aformentioned dog that he not pee on the carpet. It's just a 1-5 game but it should be played with rules,
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I just need to take a more balanced approach next time. If that sort of stuff was going on at the 20/40 it'd be a no brainer "woh hold up now" situation. 1-5 stud I should have just found a nice/mellowish way to inform the duo of the rules. Still, it is real money and the rules should be followed.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could you have ruined the game by insisting on basic rules? It felt bad because they were oblivious to it. It's like yelling at a dog . Maybe just mention it next time, like suggesting to the aformentioned dog that he not pee on the carpet. It's just a 1-5 game but it should be played with rules,

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-18-2005, 01:09 AM

I never understood why such questions were posed. Would you rather a game that has [ QUOTE ]
lost all it's charm

[/ QUOTE ] or one where someone is [ QUOTE ]
showing his crappy hole-cards to the guy on his left before folding on 3rd st.

[/ QUOTE ]?

I'm not being an ass here, I just mean you have to decide for yourself which is a more desirable environment for you.