Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: FossilMan\'s Foxwoods Trip Report, Championship Event

Sounds like that Hoyt guy who is the chip leader at the final table. Sounds like he's not really that great of a player, just another one-speed super-aggressive player on a run of cards.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 PM

Yes, I considered it. That's why I wrote the bit about it might have been right to bet the turn. And I may have made a mistake not doing it. We'll never know.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:29 PM

Default Thanks everyone ...

for the kind words. I sure hope it's not too long before I win one of these big ones. I hate waiting. ;-)

Old 11-17-2003, 02:15 AM

Sounds like that Hoyt guy who is the chip leader at the final table. Sounds like he's not really that great of a player, just another one-speed super-aggressive player on a run of cards.

Just curious what you are basing this on. I always have trouble with an explanation that hinges on the concept of a 2 or 3-day run of cards.

And then I unearthed Scott Byron's RGP acount the guy:

" He was at my first table for a long time in this event, and played quite solid. He made a HUGE laydown in a big, big pot after re-raising me when I flopped top set (QQQ) and I moved in. If he had called (with his likely overpair), I probably would have busted him about five hours into the tournament. He took the remaining 9K after that hand and ran it up to about 90K in about 40 minutes, in an incredible
rush. I had never played with him before, so I did a little bit of research when I got back to my room last night and found that he won a WSOP bracelet in 1992 in Pot Limit Omaha. He's very solid, and careful."

Nice reports from both Greg and Toro. Thanks.

Shane
Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 AM

Card Player hasn't posted the final table yet, Greg. Do you know who the others are?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:23 AM

Hoyt is the chip leader with a bit over T1M, Phil Hellmuth is second with something like T800K, and the other players are Chris Ackerman, Brian Haveson, Senthil Kumar, and Mohamed Ibrahim.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just curious what you are basing this on.

[/ QUOTE ]
The comment was based solely upon Toro's post, as I know nothing about this player personally. It seems clear to me that Toro's description and Scott Byron's do not mesh very well.

Maybe it's simply that I consider preflop raises of 10-20xBB to be silly, and the sign of a weak player, not a strong one.

The problem with these size raises is exactly what happened to him when he got lucky on Toro. He was risking 10-20 to win 3, and was bound to get looked up by a better hand too often to justify that price.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM

Toro did not indicate that the ten-gallon reckless cowboy was in fact this Hoyt fellow and given Byron's account, it seems likely that it may have been a different Texan altogether.

Shane