Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Thanks again for your support

Great run Greg. What happened to you happens alot in poker but it's just devastating sometimes in tournaments. Some guy makes a "semi-bluff" where the bluff part has almost 0% chance of winning since the "semi-bluffer" misread his opponent. Then the "semi-bluffer" wins a big pot as a long shot. FWIW you played this hand perfectly IMO and lost but that happens as we all know. An alternative would have been to go for a check raise on the turn but I have to believe that getting him all in when you're a 9-2 favorite is prefarable to winning a smaller pot perhaps more often. Don't know if he'd have fired on the turn or not and if he takes a free card that would not be what you want to happen. Tough to get through a tournament even when you take 9-2 favorites against players repeatedly because you will lose some occasionally. Just happened at the wrong time for you on this hand. Thanks for the report and the find post.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It was pretty clear to me that he did not have a monster hand, but had a hand that he was willing to play all-in against me as the short stack (Aysan had about 1.5 or 1.6M before the hand started). Given that read, there was no way I could fold A9, even though his raise was half my stack. Since this situation met absolutely every requirement for the stop-and-go play, that is what I did. The flop was KK7, and I paused a few seconds before pushing all-in. Aysan did think for a minute or two, but then called with 55, which held up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, Greg: Thanks for the post. We were rooting for you to repeat the championship. But Poker is a game of skill and LUCK. Aaron just got lucky, we all know that.

I do have a question about Stop N Go. I understand you decided to play Stop n Go in your last hand preflop. But should you change your mind when flop is KK7? That is a bad flop for Stop n Go when your opponent likely to hold a small pair. I will generally check after the flop, if the turn say is a J, I will move all in representing I have hit a J. I would read most bets into KK7 flop as a continuation bet that may not have anything, I would call or reraise if I have a small pair if my opponent is pot committed.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:13 PM

Thank YOU Greg for your class and determination. A great run.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do have a question about Stop N Go. I understand you decided to play Stop n Go in your last hand preflop. But should you change your mind when flop is KK7? That is a bad flop for Stop n Go when your opponent likely to hold a small pair. I will generally check after the flop, if the turn say is a J, I will move all in representing I have hit a J. I would read most bets into KK7 flop as a continuation bet that may not have anything, I would call or reraise if I have a small pair if my opponent is pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no point in starting the stop-and-go play unless you will follow through no matter what flops. About the only exception you should make is when you actually flop a monster (for example, if I had held a Kx hand on that flop). The entire point of the stop-and-go play is that you've already committed too much money to ever fold, but your hand is not such a monster that you wouldn't rather have your opponent fold before you reach showdown. What if my opponent is weak and lays down QQ when I push on this flop? If he doesn't know about the stop-and-go play, he might give me credit for a Kx hand on this flop, especially since there were two clubs out there. He could say to himself that Greg must have a K to bet this flop, and he's not slowplaying it because he doesn't want to give me a free card to make a flush. And then he hopefully lays down the best hand.

Most of the time, the stop-and-go play doesn't work. However, you only use it in spots where your hand is too strong to fold preflop, and when if you had pushed all-in preflop, the opponent is expected to call pretty much 100% of the time, due to pot odds. Your flop bet is intended to give him a chance to fold incorrectly because he gives you credit for outflopping him. Most of the time, either he'll think his hand is strong enough to call, or he'll see through the play, and call because he knows you were going to push all-in on the flop no matter what hit.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-18-2005, 09:52 PM

Greg,

Great run. I thank you so much for your help with my game over last two years (you know, when you still had time to post in the MTT forum [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). Hopefully you will be able to post some over there soon. We are having issues w/ chipEV vs. $EV and nobody wants to listen to me!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

later.

SossMan
Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 PM

I don't know Greg, but I root for him because he seems like a true gentleman and that is a wonderful thing for poker.

Did anybody else crave a wine cooler after reading the topic title?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 PM

Greg,
You're a hell of a guy. When that final heart came and i read about it, my heart just sank. I was pulling for you since Day 1. I hope one day I get the opportunity to meet you and gulp play with you. Take care, my man. Enjoy your money and fame. You deserve it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but then called with 55, which held up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he say 'presto' with an ironic smile? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 PM

I had the privilege of watching you win the 2004 WSOP in person. It was a pleasure. Especially since Binion's allowed me to sit in the VIP area [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hope to go it again someday.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Excellent class and I hope the media doesn't take away your warm personality.

My wife came up to you with a dollar bill before the 1st WSOP event and walked away a new fan of yours. Good luck in the future to you Greg.