Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 40-50% VP$IP at mid levels

i dont think i agree with your suggestion that its more viable to be loose aggressive in the higher limit games. i play relatively loose aggressive, at least pre flop, and the game attributes that make this work, at least my style, have diminished in higher limit games. your right that you cant really bluff calling stations and you run into less calling stations in higher limit games but this is only one of the factors. the things that i felt made being somewhat lag work are:
- players dont adapt well. for example you need to reraise people who open raise all the time. lower/mid limit players, for the most part, didnt do this.
- while opponents may be loose they still habitually check fold their nothing hands.
- bad opponents pay off to much when they do hit some kind of a hand.

my experience was that most players in lower/mid limit games where a sort of combinination of loose/timid. the fact that they conceede you nearly all the nothing hands, even though its obvious your just stealing a ton of them, with the fact that they pay off a lot of the time when they hit something decent but not great makes it viable to play a lot of hands, especially in position, in a somewhat deep stacked game.

in higher limit games most opponents correctly recognize what your doing and just dont let it stand. they also dont pay off as much with mediocre stuff.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:21 AM

Does he play 1/2 on Party too? If so I know exactly who you're talking about
Old 02-17-2005, 01:34 AM

You have to be talking about that H@LLinGol guy. Screwy name, but he does seem to do alright for himself.

-Solo
Old 02-17-2005, 03:42 AM

I don't think thats very difficult to figure out. He calls pre-flop alot, probably up to 90% on some nights -- particularly in multi-way pots. Folds to big bets, but will call small to moderate sized bets post flop, say things that are 25% to 60% of the pot, however if he flops a hand he wants to protect he'll bet some 75% of the pot. Rarely raises, and just annihilates big stacked fish when he makes those gut shots and double gut shots, backdoor flushes and freak flops that hit his hand. Rarely does he bluff, and if he does it's on the end in pots that seem to be uncontested. Like I said, rarely does he bust the really good players because they just bet him out of the pot. The ones he does bust are the ones that don't understand (pot + their stacksize) odds.

If you play regularly at O'11, you'll know who I'm talking about .. anybody want to take a stab?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:28 AM

does stars have 6 max?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fim