Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Understanding my own predictableness

I've been playing with a lot of the same people for a while now and I feel like they can read me like a book. Given that I only play live NL (and a small bit of live limit), what is the best way to figure out how I am predictable? If I played online, I would be able to easily look at hand histories and chart my betting patterns, but in live play, I don't have that luxury.

Is it worth it to just blow some money online and see if I can find the patterns there?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Understanding my own predictableness

I would say just pay attention to your betting patterns during the games. Its not as easy as loading up a hand history, but if you realize, "When I have XY in position Z, I always bet this..." and so on you might be able to vary some of it. Harrington mentions changing some of your betting based on the how many seconds have passed in the current minute to introduce some randomness to your betting.

And then, as I've read on this board in a couple places as well as in HoH, it sometimes works if you pick a hand that you want to occasionally push harder than normal, like suited connectors. If you play it the way you would normally play a pocket pair then it will make it a bit harder for your opponents to put you on a hand.

Probably obvious answers, but hope it helps.

--- Chris
Old 09-02-2005, 03:46 PM

Everything helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM

I don't know your exact situation but if you don't play against the same bunch of people all the time, you won't have to worry much about your "predictableness" escpecially if you have short sessions.

If you play with the same people then you should worry. Every time you're on the button, just say to yourself "Oh, I'm going to be a tight aggressive player this round". Once this round is over and you find yourself on the button again you can say "oh, I'll be a maniac this round." This will make you unpredictable. In limit, you can occassionally play hands "unconventionally" like raise with 65 suited from UTG once every 20 times you're dealt it. Or just limp with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and 10-10 when you are first one in in middle position once every 30 times or so that you get them.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Are you getting action on your good hands? If so, why change anything?

I have idiots coldcalling my raises while they are literally telling me they know I have a great starting hand. Should I change that?

Sidenote: I'd personally learn limit and get it down before I'd go into no limit.

b
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
If you play with the same people then you should worry. Every time you're on the button, just say to yourself "Oh, I'm going to be a tight aggressive player this round". Once this round is over and you find yourself on the button again you can say "oh, I'll be a maniac this round." This will make you unpredictable. In limit, you can occassionally play hands "unconventionally" like raise with 65 suited from UTG once every 20 times you're dealt it. Or just limp with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and 10-10 when you are first one in in middle position once every 30 times or so that you get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're getting action, I wouldn't be concerned about switching gears. If you are switching because you're not getting much action, don't limp with premiums preflop. Raise more hands preflop.

b