Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Help! can\'t focus while at the table....or elsewhere

I've been playing online for over a year now, and have done fairly well for the limit I play at. Over the last month or two I've had more and more trouble concentrating while at the table and making reasonable analysis of play away from the table. It's as though I've gotten too comfortable with my game and the games I play in. Unfortunately this causes me to actually pay little attention to the other people at the table- causing poor reads and incorrect decisions. This is somewhat worsened by a perception of lack of challenge (which sounds insane, since there's plenty). Forcing myself to sit down and focus has helped a little, but it's still quite difficult to do it for more than a few minutes at a time. I know that a portion of this (how much I don't really know) is due to ADD and not taking any type of medication. I've been lucky in that I've had more good days than bad days, and usually I try not play on bad days. It's just the last couple of months where there's been a gradual reversal so good days are fewer and farther between. It's also probably worsened by diet. I'm planning on taking some time off in the near future to get a break away from the tables to work on the basics again and get back to some quality analytical thought. I'd like to re-read most of my books and really spend more time just thinking about the game at a level that I have been lax about in the past. I've also got some non poker books I plan on reading on logical thought, math, etc. I'm also going to be making changes to my diet during this time as well.

So this is part venting about my frustration about not being able to take control and focus on something that should be rather simple to do- concentrate and think analytically. Also to see if there's anyone else who has had similar trouble and what they have done. The simplest thing to do would probably just to go to the Dr and get a Rx, but I'd rather not take drugs just so I can function with a clear head. Of course if it's the option between living in a fog or clarity, I'd do the prescription route. If anyone has any recommendations on herbal remedies that have worked well for them I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'm already trying to cut out refined sugar since I know that it's not helping. This is, of course, much larger than just poker, but it's where I can really get an idea of how much of a problem this is. I'd also like to get back on track moving up limits, but I can't realistically do that as it is now, not successfully anyway.

Thanks for opinions, recommendations, insults, etc etc.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Help! can\'t focus while at the table....or elsewhere

I don't know if you need to see a doctor, but it is
something that should be considered seriously.

It's possible you are just going through "burnout."

Try taking a vacation from poker for a few days or
a week, and see what that does for you.

Best, mosquito
Old 01-30-2005, 05:06 PM

sin808,

I think that you are on the right track; the things that you plan to do sound reasonable.

Here's a suggestion that may be of some value: try to develop a routine. I mostly play live games. When the dealer begins to deal the cards I use this as a cue to bring my attention to the hand in progress. As players act I make a mental note of it (e.g., "Joe open-limps from middle position") and if I know something about the player I append a judgement to this note (e.g., "Joe is generally aggressive preflop so he must not have much of a hand here; I put him on something like JTo"). I continue making these mental notes as the hand plays out. When the hand is over (and hopefully some players hands are exposed) I review the hand that was just played to try to learn how my opponents play. The value of this process has really helped my game.

I'm not saying that this procedure is easy or useful for everyone, and I'm not 100% successful in following it (but I am constantly striving to improve). I believe that a key aspect to success is developing that initial cue to start the process, and then just continuing to practice.

Good luck!

-- Manzanita
Old 01-30-2005, 06:37 PM

I'm sorry sin808. I can't provide much advice. Except for eating well balanced, drinking lots of water, getting enough sleep and getting coffein - coffe or tea.

Now instead I'll ask you for help.

[ QUOTE ]
...I know that a portion of this (how much I don't really know) is due to ADD and not taking any type of medication.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you wrote in your post and other stuff I've read here on the forum about ADD describes me perfectly. I just like you just can't concentrate.

Just when I make a move in limits I can concentrate for the first few hours. After that I get used to it and I turn on the TV, surf the web or whatever. When I'm in a live game all I do is get bored and play with my chips...

So I'm wondering if I have ADD. A diagnosis wouldn't change my life in any way, but I'm just interested. If you know of any great weblink that gives briefish and accurate information about ADD could you please poist it.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 PM

I think you may be on the right track with changing your diet. From what I read in the book "Healthy Healing" (a great book if you're into that sort of thing), it says food senstivities could play a large part - milk, wheat, corn, chocolate, citrus, and also foods with sugar, dyes, colors, preservatives, or additives. Eliminate red meats, canned, frozen food, no junk or fast foods. I'd start by eliminating all this stuff, then add some things back in if you really can't live without it, and keep track of how bad your symptoms are when you eliminate and add things back in. Good luck!.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:36 PM

you might be interested in taking a look here and here . Both links I think have a screener test to determine if you might want further evaluation. Not sure how good either of them really is, but it's a good start.

There's alot of good information on the web about it. Just takes some digging around.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 PM

A good idea, kind of like Dr Al's suggestion in his book to verbalize your actions. I do this occasionally and find it helps when I'm home alone and playing. It draws my attention to the action at hand. Not sure how well I can manage it when others are home, but it is going to be something I try to incorporate.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 PM

I never really took much stock in the whole organic food treehugger thing, but I'm starting to believe that there are some real benefits to avoiding the processed, refined and hormone altered foods. Maybe I'm just becoming more food sensitive as I get older and that's compounding existing conditions somewhat.

OTOH, I'm no Dr. so I don't really know. Still, can't be a bad idea to eat better even if it doesn't change anything else.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:15 AM

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 PM

FWIW, I'm an inattentive ADDer with some impulsivity, and no hyperactivity.

By no means am I an expert on ADHD, but what you describe in your original post sounds more like someone who has simply become bored with his job. If you're also experiencing the lack of ability to focus away from the poker tables, you should know that there are many things that can mimic the symptoms of ADHD. The first thing to do is get yourself checked out by a professional who is familiar with ADHD to see whether or not you really have ADHD. I wouldn't put much stock in the questionnaires on the Web; they're simply marketing tools designed for most people to "fail" so they'll visit their doctor and get a prescription.

Regular exercise is important, but I'm sure you already know that.

Eat protein to make sure your brain gets enough Tyrosine. Don't eat too many carbs at the same time you eat protein, because Tyrosine has to compete with other amino acids for entry to the brain. When you eat too many carbs at the same time as your protein, Tryptophan gets in the way of Tyrosine. Tyrosine is necessary for production of dopamine and norepinephrine (alertness) and Tryptophan is necessary for production of serotonin (calmness - which can become drowsiness).

Also make sure you get enough Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. Low levels of fatty acids can affect the shape of neurotransmitter receptors, so even if you have enough dopamine and norepinephrine, they may have difficulty binding to their receptors.

When it comes to poker, I have to play while on medication, or I lose. I also use music while I play. I said “use” because I don’t “listen” to the music, it’s just there as background to occupy a part of my brain. Music can be good or bad; I think it just depends on the individual.

I've also begun playing mostly SNGs, with an occasional MTT now and then. For me, it's a good thing that there's more to keep track of, like blind levels and stack sizes. And achieving short-term goals by winning the SNG or MTT, while making progress toward the long-term goal of significant profit, provides the kind of interim reward and psychological reinforcement that I need to fend off boredom. I've found that the neverending grind toward long-term profitability by playing limit poker just doesn't do it for me.

HTH.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I read an entry in Daniel Negreanu's blog a few days ago where he says that he's started using some kind of supplement that keeps him incredibly alert and calm. He doesn't name it, but implies he will at a later date. I suspect it's some combination of herbs and L-Tyrosine in supplement form... we'll see I guess. Or maybe someone here knows what it is and can tell us?