Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 09:43 PM

Default low-limit O8 hand

This hand is from an online loose-passive $1-2 O8 game.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]and limp UTG.

Six of us see a flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It's checked to me, I bet out and get 3 callers including the BB.

The turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Everyone checks.

The river is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The BB bets, I call, and a player in MP also calls. The BB and I chop low and MP takes high.

In retrospect I'm 75% sure that a player behind me would have bet and I could have check-raised the flop. Would that be a better play than betting out? I'm also wondering if perhaps I shouldn't have bet the turn. Comments?

-- Manzanita
Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: low-limit O8 hand

Manzanita - You missed a bet on the turn (the third betting round). Otherwise, fine.

I vote for betting the flop in a straightforward fashion, just as you did, rather than trying for a check-raise. The way you played it, you probably would get a call from everyone on the third betting round - but then you didn't follow through with a bet on the third betting round. You have to complete the play by making a bet on the third betting round.

If you went for the check-raise and the player immediately behind you bet, you'd probably get an extra small bet out of everyone on the second betting round, but then you may not get a big bet from everyone on the third betting round.

And if the player immediately behind you doesn't bet, then not only do you miss your opportunity to get two small bets from everyone on the second betting round (because you don't want to check-raise a bet from a late position player), if everyone checks you won't even get one bet.

In addition, often when you check-raise, you change the character of the game to a tighter game. People don't generally like to get check raised and become wary of it. I use check-raising mainly for two purposes: (1) to deter an opponent who inevitably bets behind me whenever I check, and (2) as a defense against a frequent semi-bluffer.)

But whatever you do on the flop, you should definitely bet the turn.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 01-24-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: low-limit O8 hand

Buzz pretty much said it all. I would add that you must
bet the turn because you have too many outs for the nut
high, not to bet for value. Since you will 3/4 or scoop
the pot some % of the time, not getting the money in is a crime.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Thanks for the responses

Good feedback. Thank you!

-- Manzanita