Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: My girlfriends wants me to win the WSOP 2006!!

You might not need vol 1, bit if the price does hurt you in any way, I would buy it. It is one of the best books on NL hold'em (Since play in the early stages does not differ much from cash games, it is good for that as well)

It is a well structured book with good explanation and lot of problems .. Harrington talks you through tons of real hands played live and online

It is worth it ... :-)
Old 12-04-2005, 08:36 PM

Get Volume I.

Even if you think you know everything which you need to know about NL poker.

The cost of the book is such a small investment compared to your future gains. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also consider getting Pot limit and No limit Poker by Ciaffone and Reuben, which is very good as well.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 AM

Harrington is a better player than you,...and his book will improve your game to a higher level than where it is now.

If you think that your current NL game is 'good enough' than you're probably wrong.

Also, don't let your GF dictate what games you shold play.
MTT's are obviously pretty high variance and you should tread lightly...as opposed to just diving in and going full-forced to trying to win your way to the WSOP.
You could be in for a big disappointment when you spend a ton and still don't make it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Skalansky

The first time you read it you'll feel like you got nothing out of it (since it is not directed specifically at NL tournaments), but upon further inspection/thought you will realize that you can apply these concepts to any type of tournament.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I dont think this book really improved my poker, it did help me a lot in certain tournament situations, e.g. satellite play. Get this book and both Harrington books!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HARRINGTON ON HOLD'EM - Both Volumes

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Hi All, thanks for your advice.

I have already ordered both the harrington books,and will order howards post xmas.

Thanks for some peoples concerns. Don't worry I am not going to go mad, and enter every MTT and expect to get a seat! I am going to plays lots of MTT and Live games, but only once I have read and understood the book, and secondly it will be for smallish stakes $10-$30.until i am confortable with my play, and have shown potential that I can reach a final table. I recon I can't make it to the 2006 WSOP but the 2007! Well If my knowledge keeps increasing as it has in the last week, then I will be champ! Easy!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your advice.

ZCAHV82
Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 AM

At least this girl has her priorties straight!
All of the suggested books are great. I just read Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and it was great.
I got his DVD Final Table Poker and it's the best I've seen. It recreates a WPT final table and you listen to Phil's thoughts as he plays each hand. It has really helped my game. He also mentions making notes on the players you are facing that day if you have info on them.
People on this forum also told me to get Caro's DVDs and his book of tells.
Next year the main event should be over 8000 people or so, I've heard. Going to need a lot of luck too.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:02 PM

If you're serious about this girl, what you need is a pre-nup, not a book! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM

If you really think she's the one, win the tournament!