Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Saving money or just weak?

Is this saving money or is it just playing too soft?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.88 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (2.44 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (8.44 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

River - (14.44 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds

Total pot: 16.44 BB

Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Saving money or just weak?

Good fold. One of them must have trips since none of their cards are dead.

Jeff
Old 08-27-2005, 10:39 AM

The Queens have checked twice, and you think trips is a likely hand for him? The Nines are live, however, so trips are quite plausible for him. I think the fold on fifth is fine. I would have bet double on fourth street, though.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:55 AM

i'm a hold'm player just learning 7stud. I post not to advice you but the other way around

With my very limited 7stud knowledge I like the 4th street check to keep the pot small (EDIT: Only if the play is loose and you think your FE is very low). A bet might be nice to get the pot heads up against the Q because the Q's might raise. (edit: wouldn't the Q's have to bet 4th street here with trips? If he hits trips he'd want to bet anticipating a raise from you tying everyone for 2 bets right? if the pair is all that he has I can see him trying for a checkraise trying to knock people out.)

thing that bothers me is that the Q's didn't reraise on 3rd. I guess that QQx would want to thin out the field significantly, QQA would want the same I'd think. Especially since one of your Ks was dead, I'd expect a pair of Qs to raise. Seeing as how the hand played out and his 3rd street play without further info I'm starting to believe he might've been rolled up and hit quads.

On fifth I guess a fold is very reasonable, you are unlikely to improve and you might be a huge dogg against either the nines or the Qs (unlikely) (hitting your A may only cost you money) I wouldn't like to see this hand through with a naked pair against 3 or 4 opponents.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:46 AM

Given that both my kings are dead on fourth, I thought that a check was probably best - if I double bet and I'm raised, then I either waste a bet, or end up calling down when I could be dead. I might as well take the free card and see what happens.

I was also suspicious because if I was villain I would bet hands like 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. In fact, I think that with open queens, its an automatic bet whatever you have in the hole. I'll have to throw a pair of kings to any bet.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:14 PM

I may be wrong here, but unless the player with queens is very passive, i'm almost sure he has trips after checking twice. I think he's slowplaying, probably a mistake, but a lot of players do stuff like this. There's no way I would call fifth. But I don't have as much experience as many of the other posters here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Question Regarding 3rd street

If three people had already limped into the pot, would you still raise?

And if the A was suited?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Question Regarding 3rd street

If you can knock out even 1 person(usually the bring in, but quite often the early limpers also) it is worth it. You will usually not kncok out the later limpers and from them you will be extracting value. Raisem if you gotem.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but quite often the early limpers also) it is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one calls a 1/2 small bet, and then folds for 1/2 small bet more.

Sorry oh great one.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:21 PM

My guess with this hand is that I would limp in after several callers, keep the pot relatively small compared to the SB precisely because no one is folding. I guess I would do this also if my cards were live. What about if the ace is suited?