Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Nut Flush Draw in Small Pot

I'll limp with Axs to try to get a draw to the nut flush. Frequently the pot will be small on the flop, with say 1 other limper. Even though the odds are way short on the flop, does it make sense to call a pot sized bet from someone representing top pair when 2 of your suit flop? I think that it might, given that you could be looking at a pot that is 20x larger than the flop.

Example, you have $400, Villain has $400, pot is $12 on flop, Villain bets $12, you have nut flush draw. Given that you could be up against a worse flush draw, it seems like you can take the flop call as a big dog and still be profitable by the river.

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Nut Flush Draw in Small Pot

You can raise too (especially if you have position)
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Lots of people frequently bet the flop w/ draws/nothing/weak hands in limped pots so you can often take away the pot on the turn when they check, factor in the chance of hitting an ace it's often fine to continue.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:15 PM

Limping with the weak-suited Ace is not a strategy I recommend. I certainly don't want to end up HU with another limper. A drawing hand wants a multi-way pot. Sure it's possible to win a small pot here, and some villains may let you draw cheaply. Possible.

I sugggest a little research is in order on playing the weak-suited Ace. Or you can just lay 40k hands then check your PT data.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping with the weak-suited Ace is not a strategy I recommend. I certainly don't want to end up HU with another limper. A drawing hand wants a multi-way pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is limit poker thinking. in no limit, limping/raising these hands is more dependant on stacks/positions. there are games where folding these hands from any position would be a crime.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping with the weak-suited Ace is not a strategy I recommend. I certainly don't want to end up HU with another limper. A drawing hand wants a multi-way pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is limit poker thinking. in no limit, limping/raising these hands is more dependant on stacks/positions. there are games where folding these hands from any position would be a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me the OP suggests limping in LP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], the BB checks and the flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] rag. The BB makes a potsized bet and you put him on K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Can you call this bet as a big dog, thinking there will be a huge payoff? Of course you can.

As pointed out there are many ways to play the weak suited Ace, and things to consider preflop like stack size, position, (who you have it on and who has it on you) quality of opponents, limping v. raising, and amount of raise if this is the proper course for the situation.

Then the flop comes and you play poker. Good post-flop play will make you a lot of money, or save you a lot of money.

The strategy outlined by OP doesn't sound like part of an overall approach to NL. Properly incorporated into your overall strategy I'm sure that an excellent player could limp or raise and play any two.