Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Both players were delirious after 13.5 hours of poker, added to the stress of the tournament, a week of hair-pulling decisions, TV cameras, cheering crowds, and a pile of $7.5 million dumped on the table behind them.

I'm surprised they could even sit upright in their chairs and handle chips, let alone play solid poker. And you're wondering why Dannenmann didn't get away from a hand after turning top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

After he turned top pair Hachem bet out $2 million, then re-raised Dannenman's raise to $5 million all-in. The easiest read in the hand was probably putting Dannenman on that ace when he re-raised the turn, so yeah, I guess I am wondering why he thought he had Hachem beat when Hachim put him all-in after the ace fell.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Top pair with a straight draw looks good heads up, plus all the emotion in that room and the long hours of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, unless your opponent is coming over the top of you on both the flop and the turn and putting you all-in. Or so it seems to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:45 PM

Anyone remember what time this finished? I was listening barely, but didnt check the clock. 7AM Vegas time or so?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM

i don't think dannenman thought this through nearly as much as most of you have.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone remember what time this finished? I was listening barely, but didnt check the clock. 7AM Vegas time or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. According to Cardplayer.com, they started close to 5pm and ended at nearly 7AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Here\'s the actual sequence in the final hand

[ QUOTE ]
You are forgetting the essential part of this hand, they are "heads up". The hands a big stack will be aggressive with in this context are much weaker than usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy the overexhausted excuse much more than this analysis. They were still plenty deep, there's no need to go broke on this hand. The board was 3 to a straight. You don't want to go broke with top pair weak kicker when your stack is still 25 rounds strong.

I'm not syaing it was an easy laydown, but I think a better player could have gotten away from it. The value of the draw that he has is pretty small at that point, given that it makes a weak straight at best and there's only one card to come.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hachem went all-in and Dannenman instantly called. Hachem held the 7c-3s and Dannenman the Ad-3c.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looked like there was actually some confusion when this happened. Could anyone pick up on the dialog? I thouhgt I heard Hachem say "all-in", the Dannenman said something I couldn't understand, then Hachem said "no wait", then Dannenman said "I'm all-in". What the hell was going on there?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with calling the all-in though and risking your entire tournament on this hand at this point is that I just see *no way* that Dannenman can think he has the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Hachem plays 88,99 the same way. Hachem is unlikly to have a set or the top end of the straight since he would likely slow play it until the turn. There are many hands that Dannenman is ahead of that Hachem plays this way. And he still has a great redraw against every hand that beats him except for a made straight.

You are forgetting the essential part of this hand, they are "heads up". The hands a big stack will be aggressive with in this context are much weaker than usual. Unfortunately you know Hachem's hand, so it's difficult to get past the actual results, but if you didn't know his hand you'd put him on the following.

A pair, a great draw, or better. That's a fricken wide range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hachem would go over the top of Dannenman's raise to $5 million on the turn when the ace hit and put him (Dannenman) all-in with 88 or 99? Isn't that basically like saying "I know you're representing at least the ace with that raise and I can't beat top pair but I think you're bluffing so I'll raise you all-in"? I mean, Dannenman's not representing a pair of 6's or 5's or just a draw with that raise to $5 million is he?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But that being said, he didn't have to go broke on the hand. Sometimes, it's ok to be a calling station. Hachem is going to try and milk his straight and probably not go all-in on the River, so why not just call instead of raising and not go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hachem went all-in on the turn, Danneman called.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 232 - Steve Dannenmann has the button, he raises to $700,000, and Hachem calls. The flop comes 6h-5d-4d, Hachem checks, Dannenmann bets $700,000, Hachem raises to $1,700,000, and Dannenmann calls. The turn card is the As, Hachem bets $2,000,000, and Dannenmann slowly raises to $5,000,000, Hachem reraises all in, and Dannenmann immediately calls. Hachem shows 7c-3s (seven-high straight), while Dannenman has Ad-3c (top pair). Dannenmann needs to catch a seven on the river to chop the pot with equal straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the big stack heads up makes the same play on the turn with K6, 76, 75, or even T7. He's trying to push Dannenman out of what has become a huge pot. It's headsup, and either opponent can be bluffing with middle pair, or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. To say nothing of the diamond draw. Hachem easily could have played a hand like Jd Td that way. Figuring even if Dannenmann flopped a pair he still has 15 outs. A hand like that could certainly be played the same way. And if Dannenmann did flop a pair then Hachem might think the turn ace is a scare card for Dannenmann.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 AM

So Hachem is calling a preflop raise with 73o, um second worst hand wha!

What isnt he calling with? How can you put him on anything? He flopped the nuts with 73o (LOLZ), how can danneman get away from this hand?

its easy to over analyze after the fact but seriously.