Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Text Editing Annoyances

When I am composing a post and trying to use the instant UUB code links or graemlins, things don't get placed at intended insertion point-- they get stuck at the end of the message. I have to highlight, cntrl+x and then cntrl+v to move it back where I want it. What's going on? Could it be a browser issue (I use Firefox)?

And while I'm on the topic, Notepad and other simple text editors act screwy too. Seems like I started noticing it when I got XP machines. It's a minor, but constant pain in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Text Editing Annoyances

I get the same in Firefox, but I'm not switching back to see whether it's better in IE! What's Notepad doing wrong, I've never seen anything odd there at all?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like I started noticing it when I got XP machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am composing a post and trying to use the instant UUB code links or graemlins, things don't get placed at intended insertion point-- they get stuck at the end of the message. I have to highlight, cntrl+x and then cntrl+v to move it back where I want it. What's going on? Could it be a browser issue (I use Firefox)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, UBB uses IE specific JavaScript to find the caret location and plae the text there.

No idea what is up with your notepad. Try downloading Textpad and using it instead.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's Notepad doing wrong, I've never seen anything odd there at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I try to move the cursor to a region of text I want to edit, it sort of skips over it, as though the displayed text isn't really there. If I hit my enter key to insert a new line at a point before the text, it becomes editable again.

It may have something to do with the way wordwrap works (or doesn't in this case). IIRC, this wasn't a problem in the past (before XP). I have tried other simple text editors and the same thing happens.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, UBB uses IE specific JavaScript to find the caret location and plae the text there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
No idea what is up with your notepad. Try downloading Textpad and using it instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it shot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM

Default making UBB instant code insert at cursor location in Firefox

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As mentioned previously, this is because UBB uses IE specific code to do the insert. I have written a Grease Monkey user script to overload this behavior and make the insert work properly in Firefox.

Here is a link to the "Insert at Cursor" user script.

If you do not have Grease Monkey, look at this previous post to learn how to install and use it.