Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Steps

General consensus? Worth firing one up while 8 tabling? Yes, I used search. I was suprised not to find a great deal of content
Old 10-21-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Steps

I played a couple Mini Step 3s for the first time last night for a change of pace. My initial, and anecdotal impressions:

- It would be really useful to know who bought in and who moved up (or down) from their initial buyin. This info is tough to know, so it'd at least be good to know who the regulars are. Mostly because...

- Some people treat the whole damn tourney as the bubble. It's weird, and maybe it was just my tables. In both matches there were opponents who just blinded themselves out. Weird.

- It didn't play at all like a $55 SNG.

In one I was able to amass a huge stack once blinds hit 150/300 because everyone was playing so tight, in the other I ran into that old monster, wired eights and got pwned back to Step 1 Mini. I can't see myself using that freeroll ever, (well maybe when drunk) which is something else I should have thought of before goofing off with the steps.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 AM

thanks. i won't bother. no wonder there's not a lot of content on these.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM

There is some novelty element to it... if you are just worried about hourly rate though, I would stick to your normal level of SNG. It's fun for a change of pace, but I'm sticking to 55s for now.

There was a post in the past where someone wrote a program to figure out hourly rate based on assumed finish distribution, but I can't recall who it was, and I've been unable to locate it in search. That might be more useful to figure out if the Steps are worth it for you.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played a couple Mini Step 3s for the first time last night for a change of pace. My initial, and anecdotal impressions:

- It would be really useful to know who bought in and who moved up (or down) from their initial buyin. This info is tough to know, so it'd at least be good to know who the regulars are. Mostly because...

- Some people treat the whole damn tourney as the bubble. It's weird, and maybe it was just my tables. In both matches there were opponents who just blinded themselves out. Weird.

- It didn't play at all like a $55 SNG.

In one I was able to amass a huge stack once blinds hit 150/300 because everyone was playing so tight, in the other I ran into that old monster, wired eights and got pwned back to Step 1 Mini. I can't see myself using that freeroll ever, (well maybe when drunk) which is something else I should have thought of before goofing off with the steps.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suggest a new approach to the step one freeroll. All-in, every other hand. I figure it will take some of the players a full two levels to figure that out (provided you survive that long). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 02:49 PM

Of course this is a biased opinion since I just resigned at Party couple days ago and decided to play a $22 mini step while 8 tabling my other 33's. Well I was happy to make that $22 into 2k but know won't happen all the time. Still though nice to knock out 2k from $22. Just my 2 cents.