Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Top things liberals dissagree with about conservatives

I would like to know what is your #1 specific problem with conservatives, be specific please (not just war in Iraq). IF you would state which party you belong to. This question is just out of curisoity, because it doesn't seem like many economic issues are being debated.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Top things liberals dissagree with about conservatives

I'm a liberal who isn't against the war in Iraq.

My biggest problem with conservatives as a whole is the exclusivity. It's a cult-like devotion to whatever is on the party agenda, along with a smugness as if they collectively plan everything. Anyone who doesn't agree with every single point is automatically labeled a heretic, I mean liberal. They come off as blind followers who can't think for themselves. The popularity of Rush and the O'Reilly factor don't help.

I'm also not a big fan of racism and religious rule. In my view, conservatism and religion are so tightly wound together it might as well be the Taliban. And sorry, but racism is pretty well married to the Republican party.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know what is your #1 specific problem with conservatives, be specific please (not just war in Iraq). IF you would state which party you belong to. This question is just out of curisoity, because it doesn't seem like many economic issues are being debated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consistently acting like they're persecuted martyrs, coupled with their delusional fantasies/the narrative of conservative victim-hood – while simultaneously telling you how popular conservatism is, and how they’re now in control of the government. The latter is surely true and doesn’t bother me in the least. The former is a blatant contridiction of the latter, yet it never goes away and they're hardly ever called out for it.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM

My top problem with republicans is lack of spending restraint.

My top problem with conservatives is morals legislation.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem with conservatives as a whole is the exclusivity. It's a cult-like devotion to whatever is on the party agenda

[/ QUOTE ]

And many conservatives, especially the loudest and most influential ones, would say the exact same thing about liberals, which is why it's so hard to have any meaningful discussion. This country has been divided and conquered, and it's pathetic.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM

I'm not using the topic to debate really, just wondering what kind of moral legislation are you refering to, Just R v W?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:47 PM

I agree but I'm not using this topic to debate that, I'm just using this for the reason stated in my original post
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean. This stuff is pretty interesting in a morbid sort of way.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Also liberal, also not opposed to the war. Two main things I'm opposed to...

1) I believe that since we are at war, the talk about eliminating almost the entire tax code, i.e. keeping taxes like those on estates/capital gains/dividends, has to go. Instead most conservatives insist that the better solution is to cut social programs that many hardworking people still need.... (BTW, I agree Bush had to cut taxes when he did, just think it's gone a little too far.

2)I simply disagree with their general stances on moral issues. They paint anyone who is gay (which I believe is innate) or chooses to have an abortion (which is an extremely tough decision for a woman to make, I don't care who you are) as evil, soulless, ungodly. Oh, and the aforementioned people are the ones who are DESTROYING America, lest we forget....
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Most hackneyed-type post in the Politics forum:

[ QUOTE ]
And many conservatives, especially the loudest and most influential ones, would say the exact same thing about liberals, which is why it's so hard to have any meaningful discussion. This country has been divided and conquered, and it's pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "political disagreement these days is just so boorish - I'm above it all because I haven't been brainwashed by the party machine" type-post.

As if political discourse hasn't always been boorish.

I can think of some rather partisan posters on this board who consistently have thoughtful and informed posts; posters who I have respect for, yet who I've probably also argued with more than once. Would I call this 'meaningful' discussion? Perhaps not. But discussion doesn't have to be 'meaningful' to derive enjoyment from it; nor does it have to be 'meaningful' to be informative. Merely because someone has strong partisan views and defends/proclaims them loudly doesn't necessarily indicate they've been 'conquered' by anything.

If you're purpose is to rain on the parade of meaningless discussion, go jump over to OOT and have a ball. There's alot more meaningless discussion there than there is here.

If you're purpose is to come and let us all know how we're all wearing tin-foil hats and have been 'divded and conquered', I would claim that there are lots of posters here who have ample levels of independent thought and post interesting views on a variety of topics.