Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Hand 1

OK,
I have AA utg and limp. I usually don't limp, with AA because it becomes painfully obvious you have aa when you reraise, but that being said I did it anyways.
teh next player limps and then another player raises. The player that raises is IMO the best or one of the best players on party. A blind calls and I reraise, four of us to the flop.

Flop comes

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

OK. blind leads out, i raise first limper folds and original raiser reraises. blind fold and i cap. now we are heads up. Turn is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], i think.

I bet, he raises. I call.

River is a j, non diamond. He bets, I fold.

FLame away.

my thoughts were, this guy knows i have aa. knows i am not going to fold. this guy has never seen me make a big laydown. i am not going to pay him off.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Hand 1

If you were all worried about getting outplayed by this guy why not just check call it down on the turn. Why call the turn and fold the river? Why not check raise the river and fold to a three bet? I dont like going this far and folding for one bet HU on the end. You could make some big mistakes playing like this against a good player.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:48 AM

I don't like it. Sure I feel very mucb beaten, but at ~19:1 It just doesn't matter.

Plenty of people limp-reraise strange things, and plenty of people cap pre-flop just so someone else doesn't get to. You don't HAVE to have aces in his mind. Plus if the villain is knowledgeable, it's possible he though one psychological step too far somehow. These arguments may not be particularly convincing, but they don't have to be. Call and expect to lose.

2nd
Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 AM

no no no he wins because he pushed you off a great hand, and you were seeing monsters under the bed. As has already been said, if you're going to call the turn raise you have to call the river on an uncoordinated board. Yes, he may have a set or twopair, but equally often he'll have something like Ax [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or TT or QQ or something you beat.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 AM

if you're beat calling the turn is stupid.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're beat calling the turn is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
This a valid point. If youre so convinced he had a set of nines, than theres no point in going past the turn. You are right to assume you are an significant underdog in this situation, but given the pot odds your call on the river will still be profitable in the long run. So Folding was a poor decision on the river. Winning holdem play is not about tough river folds, and I know you know that. Learn from this mistake and move on.
wes
Old 08-18-2005, 09:49 AM

Do you have the Ad and does he think you're a donk? If he thinks you're a donk he'll play TT-AA the same way.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 AM

Yikes!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 AM

This is not good. You should not be looking for the muck here.

I think the only question is to 3-bet the turn or not, and I probably would since his hand could very well be a big pocket pair.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not good. You should not be looking for the muck here.

I think the only question is to 3-bet the turn or not, and I probably would since his hand could very well be a big pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cmon, what are you talking about. this guy is no idiot. I limped, reraised. I screamed to everybody, AA. how can i three bet there? I still think it was a good fold, but i understand why everybody says it was a crap play. you are not supposed to lay down big hands in big pots, but i was beat and feel like my 15 to 1 or whatever it was would make me big loser in long run