Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 AM

Default AJo and a K hits the flop and I\'m bet into, weak to always fold?

This is a very common situation.
Let's say the hand plays out like this.

MP2 is a very agressive solid player.

Preflop:
MP2 limps, I raise in LP with AJo, BB completes.

Flop comes K93r

Flop:BB checks, MP1 bets into me

This is a hard situation.
He represents a K but could as well have nothing or a draw and want's to see my action.

If i fold all the time or too often in this situation I will
easily be moved of many pots, too weak. I don't have the odds to continue though if he has anything and definately not if he has a K.

What should I do?

I think I'm calling too much in this situation.
Should I mix it up and call like 1/4 of the times and let it go the other times?

Some players raise and tries to move the bettor off the pot with a bet on the turn also but if it fails it is very costly and it seems to LAG to me, maybe try that very rarely.

Is that a line to take at times?

any advice is appreciated
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: AJo and a K hits the flop and I\'m bet into, weak to always fold?

These are always tricky situations. Don't resign yourself to a rote strategy by doing X 1 time and doing Y the other 3 times.

Consider your opponent, the size of the pot, the texture of the board, your outs, and how likely your hand is to be best. Make your decision based on those principles.

In this case there's 5.50 small bets in the pot and you have no other draws working for you, plus you still have the BB to worry about. You're looking at probably 3 outs or worse. He probably has KJ or K10s. I doubt he's bluffing, since most players fear AA, AK, KK - and he wants you to define your hand.

This is a super easy fold.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Obviously situation dependent. but I think it's either fold or raise. A raise has a good chance of getting the BB out of the hand and a possible free card for you. If they both stay then there is a real good chance that 1 or both has a K. Like it's been stated many times, you can't do the same thing all the time.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:25 PM

I would fold. What kind of draw is he betting on a K93r flop? What kind of hand would an aggressive solid player limp with from MP2 and then bet this flop into a preflop raiser? He doesn't seem that agressive.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of hand would an aggressive solid player limp with from MP2 and then bet this flop into a preflop raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any small pocket pair. A good player is probably going to check/raise with a K (or set) on this flop.

Like others have said, you don't want to do one thing every single time. In the scenario you laid out, when the MP limper is a solid, aggressive player, I can see either raising to try and knock out the BB (possibly even getting a fold from MP2 when he's just betting pocket fives or something), or flat calling to see what the BB does and whether or not MP2 leads into you again on the turn. I can also see just claiming "small pot" and folding right there.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:17 PM

You raised. You missed. You're drawing in a small pot and you have no idea where you're at ... fold up the tent and move on mostly.

Failing that, raise for a free card and to clean up outs.

I'd raise about 20% of the time here.

~ Tilts