Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Default semi bluff raise

SB: unknown, BB: 44%/5%. AF:3,
MP3: 23%/3% AF: 0.43

When I saw the raise I immediatly thought he was on a semi bluff raise with a flush or OESD. I thought there was a good chance I was ahead. The decision is to either reraise or fold. With an ugly board and four players to act behind I folded.

good decision or bad? And why?

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: semi bluff raise

Isn't this a perfect example of a raise to protect your weak hand situation? That's what BB may have been doing, protecting his draw or big 9. There are a lot of draws out there to dodge but you can still improve while avoiding their draws, I might have 3-bet here to try and get rid of people behind me.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Raise you have top pair and position on the two. Getting almost 5 to 1 call, you should raise here with top pair top kicker. If the turn is safe a bet will frequently take down the pot.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Any comments on just calling UTG with A9s. I don't do this at 2/4 on party. Others?

On the flop, I think I 3-bet here and see if bb caps.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM

*grunch*

I think you made a good fold. The board is pretty coordinated, so there could be straight and flush draws out there. The best you can hope for is to get another 9 or an ace, which still loses if someone makes a straight or flush. Given the lack of preflop raising, the SB and BB (or others for that matter) could very well have the low cards needed for the straight.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should raise here with top pair top kicker. If the turn is safe a bet will frequently take down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on just calling UTG with A9s.

[/ QUOTE ]
bad and I think you know why
Old 12-15-2005, 04:19 PM

Yossalah, are you saying you raise UTG with this, or throwing it away?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 PM

depends on the table and players. Both are acceptable

edit - you do understand why limping sucks here, right?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Ditch this hand pre-flop from UTG. Problem solved.

Since you played it, I think this is a reraise or fold situation. With the texture of this flop I would lean towards a fold, especially since this is not a large pot. If the pot were larger and the board not so coordinated, a 3-bet might be in order.

Also, consider that the action is coming from the blinds in an unraised pot. They could have a number of hands that connect well with this board, whereas if the action was coming from early or middle position limpers you might be able to narrow down their range a little better.

All-in-all, I say it's a not-so-tough fold. If you later find out you would have won, no big deal in this small pot.