Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Dealing with variance

I exaggerated a touch.

I was in the BB and it folded to the SB, who folded. I won that hand.

I've had an 80bb steady downswing over the last 200 hands. That could be the worst, most condensed swing I've ever experienced. It's variance, it happens.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am getting killed by people cold calling 3 w/K9s from SB or limping A6o and my BB flops 2 pair. bet / call. turn is A - he caps his top pair river is another A.
or inversely - I have 8+ outs and never seem to hit. I've been reviewing every hand I play and except for some river calls where I'm fairly sure I'm beat I cant find any leaks...down 160BB - thought i was out of the downswing the other night - up >25 BB early THEN down 50 BB climb back to down 15 same tonight +15 now down 15

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea it's rough. I always review my sessions if I lose more than 10BB's and invariably it will not be because of poor poker - although everyone makes mistakes every night at the tables - it's due to not hitting any draws, getting sucked out on at the river, etc. At least when I go thru my session I feel better knowing I'm not spewing chips.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:51 AM

to make matters worse I'm at a table with a guy who has gone from 50BB to 150 BB. Seems he either sucks out on the river or has the nut hand every time...BUT he is only in hands where someone or several someones are in with decent hands - so he always wins pots from 7-20 BB. He always limps but will always call any raise and almost always win

weird
Old 11-25-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to make matters worse I'm at a table with a guy who has gone from 50BB to 150 BB. Seems he either sucks out on the river or has the nut hand every time...BUT he is only in hands where someone or several someones are in with decent hands - so he always wins pots from 7-20 BB. He always limps but will always call any raise and almost always win

weird

[/ QUOTE ]

His doom switch hasn't flipped yet.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:54 AM

lol thx [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 02:58 AM

woohoo top 2 pair finaly held up! he is down to 144 BB ;-p
Old 11-25-2005, 07:20 AM

yeah I am going through a bit of a down swing too.

I find it is the time when I work the hardest to improve my play
Old 11-25-2005, 07:49 AM

go play some free games, raise every hand til everyone gets angry at you... tilt off where it doesnt matter

works for me anyway

Viva la Pokemon!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:04 PM

I usually just stop playing for a day or two. Get your mind off playing for a while. Post some replies on this forum. Don't get yourself all worked up about the downswing.

Review hands from known TAGs in your PT database and know that you would have played the hand the same way.

Or just switch over to trying to beat Halo II on legendary for a week or so [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM

I like to sit down at a .02/.04 table with like 3 dollars and just raise/reraise every single action. If you don't mind losing $3 (and you shouldn't if you are playing 1/2 or higher) it's a pretty fun way to get a bunch of people to yell at you and overall let off some steam.

And occasionally you get ridiculous suckouts and break the bankrolls of little 12year olds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]