Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default S/S Stud 8OB

I've read sklansky's section in super system about Stud high low, and it is slightly different from 8OB, but thats OK. I think there is alot of valubale material in there, but the only part that confuses me about the book is that it never mentions what kind of high hands to play.

I guess my question is, when is a pair of kings a good hand to play in stud high low?
Should I always be trying to get the low like he said in supersystem? What is a good book for stud HL?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: S/S Stud 8OB

The reason it dosn't mention high hands is because without a qualifier those hands are utter trash. In 8OB high pairs do best HU (hoping the low busts)
Old 07-29-2005, 04:40 PM

Yeah in a split game no qualifier I can only see playing maybe rolled up kings or Aces. Throw everything else.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Please read the FAQ.

SS2 actually has a pretty good section on stud/8, but the book you want is High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players by the incomparable Ray Zee.

High pairs are utter trash in high-low with no qualifier. They have no scoop potential, so almost anything is free-rolling on them. In stud/8, high pairs have some value, because they can scoop when the lows bust. That said, they're a lot like middling straight draws in high-only stud--when played well, they can be marginally profitable, but most players lose money with them, because they play the later streets badly. If you are playing in small, very loose games, you really wouldn't be giving up too much if you dumped a pair of Kings every time while you're learning.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:47 PM

I actually learned how to play stud/8 by readin SS1 and then slowly learning how to play high hands on my own. If you're a beginner then SS2 has a pretty good chapter on stud/8. I've never read it, but I'm sure hi/lo split for the advance player is a good read too.

If you're just getting used to hi/lo, I'd suggest avoiding most high hands. They're more difficult to play and not huge money winners. Just stick to playing AA and trips. Once you're better able to read hands, you can start playing more of the big pairs and flush draws profitably.