Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: culinary school

The cia will provide you with the best culinary education in the US. It will also cost you and be time intensive.

Here in las vegas, the community college of southern nevada offers some very good classes, that are almost all taught by cia trained chefs. At a fraction of the cost. (about $300 per class)
As las vegas has become a culinary mecca, the talent pool to teach has also grown. I've had the opportunity to compete in culinary competitions, and attend practices of the US olympic culinary team.

The culinary job market here is, I dare say, as good as any in the US.

That said, while I enjoy cooking, the business got to me. I make more playing poker, and it's a heck of a lot easier.

I suggest before you start at an expensive program, start at a community college and a cooking job.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It also has the advantage of placing its work-study students in some of the finest professional kitchens in the country, working with and under some of the finest professional cooks in the country.

[/ QUOTE ] The way Delgado works is you have to work like 700 hours while attending classes so basically, every student is a work study student. It is a very nice program in this way as it isn't the financial/time burden that other schools would be.

You are correct in your appraisal of N.O. cooking opportunities, and the value of working for fine chefs. Thanks for the additional info on Delgado. One of my co-workers would bitch about the cost of Delgado, but she was out-of-state student.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:01 PM

Do you (or anyone) know of any good culinary schools in the Chicago area? I wouldn't cook professionally, but I really like cooking and want to learn more.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 AM

geormiet,

Since you like to travel (and play *****), why not see what France has to offer as far as schooling?