Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 02:02 PM

Default How good is the book \'Zen and the Art of Poker\'?

I am relatively new to poker and I have read HEFAP, WLLHE, and several other books including Zen and the Art of Poker.

I just started browsing the forums here last week and I noticed a post dealing with "Card Rushes" as quoted from the Zen book. From my limited experience as a new 2+2er, I am already acutely aware of the mistaken notion of the "Card Rush".

After going back to the book with a new perspective, I noticed the following sentence:

"Put another way, simply measured in quantity of hours, the times when your cards are running hot are going to be outnumbered by the times they are running cold, average, and bad."

This sentence appears in the beginning of the book on the chapter about folding. I now understand it to mean that you will be dealt a playable starting hand less often than an unplayable or garbage hand.

Is this what the author intended or is it just another form of his belief in the "Card Rush" principle?

Is the advice in this book sound? (I know I should judge for myself, but I thought I would ask the experts.)

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Dov [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: How good is the book \'Zen and the Art of Poker\'?

In any poker game, there are far fewer playable hands than unplayable hands. You need to recognize that in any session, you will fold more often than play.

The book addresses much that other poker books do not about how you manage yourself. Getting antsy and playing too many hands out of frustration and boredom will kill your bankroll.

"Zen and the Art of Poker" is one of the most valuable books in my collection.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:05 PM

Is is a good read and as the previous poster mentioned deals with the idea of folding quite a lot and how to get yourself mentally tuned into doing this. Certainly different to most poker books and worth the money for that fact alone.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:29 PM

I am not the in 'expert' category. I don't believe in rushes and other voodoo. As they say, a streak is only something you know after the fact. I'm confused as you are regarding whether or not he was being figurative or he literally believes in rushes. At any rate, there are some good things to be taken from his discussions on the topic (such as the point you took). Overall, I liked the book and thought the advice was good.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:23 AM

Fun book, kinda of repetitive...also watch out for some false info on rushes and such
Old 10-24-2003, 06:59 AM

good addition to my collection.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:44 AM

I'll reread the parts where he discusses rushes. I do think that although there is no such thing as a rush, other players believe in them, so it's important to recognize when that mindset is happening to another player at your table and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:15 PM

The false info on rushes was what prompted me to write the post!

Thanks
Old 11-04-2003, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"Put another way, simply measured in quantity of hours, the times when your cards are running hot are going to be outnumbered by the times they are running cold, average, and bad."

This sentence appears in the beginning of the book on the chapter about folding. I now understand it to mean that you will be dealt a playable starting hand less often than an unplayable or garbage hand.

Is this what the author intended or is it just another form of his belief in the "Card Rush" principle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the former of the two. At the risk of putting words in the author's mouth, I think it's the equivalent of saying that if 25% of hands are in the range that are worth playing, then 75% should be tossed.

[ QUOTE ]

Is the advice in this book sound? (I know I should judge for myself, but I thought I would ask the experts.)

[/ QUOTE ]

As you, yourself, have said, the bit in the book on rushes is just bad. The rest of the book is about adopting a good mindset for playing poker. I believe this part could help some of those who have self-control problems at the poker table. Other than the stuff on rushes, I think it's pretty decent.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:31 AM

Based on your praise, I've just ordered "Zen and the Art of Poker". I also ordered "The Tao of Poker" by same author, Larry W. Philips.
Watching the WSOP rerun last night, they mentioned Howard Lederer reading "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel. I've read this book, and would recommend it. A very short read, it's app. 80 pages.