Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 1/2, A9o

Yes that river is a clear bet.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:16 PM

I think this is great other than you need to bet the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know ppl don't fold in $1/2 but still I think you need to at least make bb pay to play (A9o seems very weak 4-handed).

[/ QUOTE ]

A9 is not my favorite multiway hand, which is the main reason I don't like a raise. No one at 1/2 or anywhere else is folding after a limp, and the BB is only folding total crap, so driving him out doesn't do much for me. But bloating the pot out of position is going to make the rest of the hand a lot harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

A9o is only my favorite hand HU position or not, or maybe 3-handed w/position; 4-handed oop I think it stinks. So in this specific spot I'm not keen on any hand bb might have since his crap could be as good as my crap. Will he call? Most likely in $1/2 and maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm not sure that means you shouldn't attempt it. So between bloating and possibly folding bb (and poster) I lean toward the raise. I also think raising gives you options on the flop that completing can't.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But having called, I don't think leading does you any good here against 3 others. I check a weak hand hoping to c-r and if no bets then possibly being glad a turn fold was so cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I think a check-raise is not good. since I didn't raise PF, everyone's calling incorrectly anyways. I'd much rather have them call 1 bet incorrectly than fold to 2 correctly. Furthermore, a free card would be a hideous result, since there are so many cards I am scared of. To top it off, I might end up putting a lot of bets in with the worst hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a hand like hero's in this particular spot, all I'm doing is meekly hanging on hoping 9's hold up; I'll fold them to a stiff breeze (teensy pot, # bettors, board, oop, etc.). So maybe you're right here but I voted for c-r because it seems there's enough on the flop to encourage a hand worse than hero's to call a lead and improve (not having pfr'd; and don't see tons of folds w/ppl thinking "he's leading w/fl cards"); and also because hero's hand melts w/many turn cards giving him a cheap way out of the hand if it does get checked through. So I don't see a huge risk to free card in this spot. HU/3-handed/better hand probably different.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like a check-call or a check-fold on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

With no pfr, flop lead and assuming hero turn check, hero missing the turn fl card might encourage K to bet (or possibly a worse 9 than hero's). If there's a bet the pot just seems too small and hero's hand too mushy to be investing anything in this specific spot; c-f.

This is off the cuff so hopefully somebody straightens out my thinking...

Mike