Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Figureing out the table, a leak in my game.

It seems to me that I call off too many of my chips trying to figure out the players at the table. I.E. I have never seen these guys/gals befor and I don't know who are the fish, the rocks, the good players, and etc. without experimentation. Is there an less expensive way to go about this? Whats your strategy?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Figureing out the table, a leak in my game.

observation?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Just be sure that you are watching what happens in all of the hands that you are not in. If it still feels like you are paying too many people off to learn the table, then you are probably playing too many hands.

Before your next B&M session, review SSHE's starting hand requirements for both tight and loose tables. Then play preflop accordingly.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I think I'm doing that but will look at SSHE again. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:53 PM

I like to play super tight then loosen up after I have watched a few hands. On the internet you can opt to wait for the big blind and watch, of course use poker tracker. And then play smart. But in a b&m game you can afford to watch alot of hands cheap and never play a hand unless its the best of starting hands. As I am sure you know the players are not going anywhere. Then use pot odds to determine wether to call and dont fold to a small bet on the river when theres a big pot ( stole that from Ed miller).
sincerely
bud
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 PM

I tell myself i won't play a hand for the first two orbits when i sit down. I try not to play anything except premium hands in good position.

I realize i'm giving up on marginally +EV value situations but it keeps me from getting into trouble early, lets the fish show themselves, and does wonders for my table image.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:48 AM

For the first round(s) on a new table I play abc. I watch the players and try to put them in two groups, those I can push around, and those I don't want to tangle with unless I have to. Who ever is left over makes up the third group which usually has little impact on playing a hand.

Usually on the second or third round, if conditions are right I try to push some of the first group around and watch who I think are the better players for their reactions.

If I am really feeling frisky I will aggressively attack the player who seems to be the most feared when I hold a playable hand. This helps gets everyone in line and easier to control - sometimes.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the response. I did just as you suggested tonight (friday) and had a nice win about 3 BB per hour. My game didn't suffer the usual leak. I also think I was better at determining the texture of the game.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 AM

Good suggestions. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Assuming there are choices of where to sit, choose to sit where the most chips are. Happy, loud, drinking people at tables where there are stacks and stacks of chips are the most desirable.

If by chance you sit down right when a new game starts, play very abc. New games tend to bring out the "tighty" in people. Continue with abc yourself until some fool will just not be able to hold it in anymore and will either start limping in with sh*t, or change tables to a looser game. In low limit games, these players are like little kids that can't hold their pee and will burst if you just give it a few more minutes.

Coming into an ongoing game yourself, assume a game is typical and straightforward until proven otherwise. Doing so will minimize the chip spewing. But don't fret, unlike a new game, you will see the true colors of the players real fast. You'll have to give it some time and observe what hands are shown down. The first half-hour is the most crucial, but pay close attention. If you make the mistake of seeing someone play aggressively with aces and then turning your attention to watch the game, you may miss that he limped in with 8-3s UTG.