Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: HS softball coach suspended for winning 55-0

[ QUOTE ]
Look at you, you're all over this thread spouting this eurotrash.

[/ QUOTE ]

har.

I am, because this entire situation is sad. I was never advocating that the coach SHOULD have run the score up to 55-0. I really wish it hadn't gotten there, because quite honestly, it must be moritfying and demoralizing for the team as you said. Why isn't it the job of the other coach to end the ball game at 25-0, when it was obvious where it was heading?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand the motivation behind amateur sports??? This is an ignorant attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect that you're going to run a big "sportsmanship" talk on me now.

I was hoping we could avoid an argument over that, but honestly man, what would you have the winning coach do?

granted, I exaggerated my opinion and it seems overly cold, but such is teh nature of OOT. I just think his suspension over this is uncalled for

[/ QUOTE ]

It's high school girls, not professionals. These leagues are run at relatively high expense for the sake of friendly competition. There are no prizes at stake and the schools do not choose who they play, they just play the schools in their district.

"Sources close to the situation told the Observer that Sherrill had been warned by school officials about lopsided scores last year and that he will miss a home game today with West Mecklenburg and one Friday at Independence."

Sounds like it is possible to run up scores excessively, and that this coach has been guilty of this more than once in the past.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Folks, let's keep some perspective. This is softball. Who gives a [censored]? The players are heifers.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand the motivation behind amateur sports??? This is an ignorant attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect that you're going to run a big "sportsmanship" talk on me now.

I was hoping we could avoid an argument over that, but honestly man, what would you have the winning coach do?

granted, I exaggerated my opinion and it seems overly cold, but such is teh nature of OOT. I just think his suspension over this is uncalled for

[/ QUOTE ]

It's high school girls, not professionals. These leagues are run at relatively high expense for the sake of friendly competition. There are no prizes at stake and the schools do not choose who they play, they just play the schools in their district.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never played competitive sports did you? Nothing at stake? Playing just for friendly competition? Riiiiiiight. That's laughable.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Sources close to the situation told the Observer that Sherrill had been warned by school officials about lopsided scores last year and that he will miss a home game today with West Mecklenburg and one Friday at Independence."

Sounds like it is possible to run up scores excessively, and that this coach has been guilty of this more than once in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well then I'll just accept your amateur sportsmanship should be preserved argument so we don't have to belabor this. there seem to be others that argee with me though, perhaps you should question their morals too.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 PM

This would be funnier if the 20 run second inning were due to 23 walks against non-swinging batters.

~D
Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 AM

Food for thought, since we're talking about mercy rules:

My 8-year-old's LL team remained unbeaten tonight, improving to 5-0. They played the second-place team, who came into the game with only 1 loss.

It was the most exciting 8-year-old game you ever saw, if you realized what was at stake. It took an extra-inning to decide.

It never would've went to extra innings, and my daughter's team wouldn't have won--except the other team saw a 7-run rally ended by the "7 runs per inning" rule. They left what would've been the game-winning run on base, with less than three outs, and it cost them the game.

Discuss.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you give up 55 runs in 2 innings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you seen the Bad News Bears? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 09:09 AM

weak.

He should have went for the kill. I'm talking 60-0. 55 is just weak.