Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Acadiana World Series of poker tourney report...I made the $$$

The United Way here in Lafayette, LA, put on their yearly Acadiana World Series of Poker charity tourney. $60 buy-in, up to 3 re-buys, with a top prize of $8,000, $5,000, $3,500, and on down to $600 for 10th place. The rest of the cash goes to the United Way.

T3000 to start and the blinds 100/200, doubling every 30 minutes. I was absolutly card dead the first 3 levels and hit the first break with only 4000 and the blinds about to be 500/1000. I decided during the break to go all-in or nothing until I had at least 10x the BB.

After the break, the deck hit me in the face. I couldn't lose, even trippling up with KK even after I had doubled up a few hands earlier. We hit the 2nd break and I had 420K with the blinds about to be 20/40K. Then the bad beats started coming.

Soon after the 2nd break, the button tired to steal my BB by going all-in for 195K. I called with KK and he sheepishly turned over Q 2 sooted! The flop came Q 2 rag, the turn landed the next deuce, and I forked over half of my stack.

2 hands later, on the button, its folded to me and I get AJ sooted. I raise to 100K, SB goes all-in for 25K more and turns over J 10 offsuit. 10 on the river seals that deal.

So I'm down to 100K or so, with the blinds rapidly approaching. UTG I get absolute crap and pray that the BB hand is halfway decent. It is, QQ, and I double up to just over 200K. I float for awhile and we hit the next break.

Coming out of the last break, we were down to 3 tables with the blinds at 50K/100K. I'm on the button coming out of the break so I wait for a hand. KK, in MP and I push. I'm called by a slightly shorter stack with some lame holding and I double up to 400+K. Now I'm card dead again and slowly the short stacks get knocked out. Now here's where it gets interesting.

I'm down to 155K, with the blinds still at 50/100K and we're 11 handed, top 10 make the money. I was in MP. I figured that I was good for 1 1/2 orbits. I would lose 150K on the blinds, but still have a 5K chip for one orbit. So of course I get dealt QQ and go all-in. I'm called by a large stack with A7, my Queens hold up, and I coast into the money.

My final hand...we're 9 handed now as the shortest stack just busted out the hand before. Blinds are now 100/200K. MP pushes for 195K with A 4 sooted, I push with 170K with 77, and the BB is good to go with A 7 offsuit. An Ace hits on the turn and I'm out in 9th place by 25K to the MP player who also busted to the BB. I get $700 for my efforts.

As with all tournies, the first 2 hours was mind boggling, with the last 2 hours some of the toughest poker I've seen in awhile. There's some damn good players here in South Louisiana.

Thanks for listening, comments appreciated.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Acadiana World Series of poker tourney report...I made the $$$

Cashing is good for the wallet.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 AM

Did you post the blinds correctly? Because.. thats ridiculous structure and i dont see how theres much skill involved.

BUT

nice finish, and $700 isn't too shabby.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you post the blinds correctly? Because.. thats ridiculous structure and i dont see how theres much skill involved.

BUT

nice finish, and $700 isn't too shabby.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds went up obscenely fast after the 1st break.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 AM

Tuurrrrrrrrrrrrrbooooo.

Nice job.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:44 AM

if it weren't for charity I wouldn't play it - but for charity I could justify rolling the dice - not sure about the rebuys though.

RB
Old 12-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Given the rather FAST structure, I don't see how you really had any choices in the hands you discussed. You chose a good strategy, with of course needed to involve a lot of pushing. In those deals you just gotta either get chips or get out. Good job cashing, tough break with those sevens tho.

al