Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: AC\'s Jarhead movie review

[ QUOTE ]
So if I loved the book will I be horribly disappointed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The book is of course better but one thing I liked in the movie was that Swofford doesn't seem to come across as much of a whiner as he did in the book.

I bet this would have been a fun movie to screen in Oceanside (near Camp Pendleton) but my guess is a pencil necked geek such as myself would have been killed.

~ Rick
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM

LOL.

As to Godfather, I read it after seeing the movie and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a very good read. Mario Puzo is a very good storyteller.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the trailer for this and was intrigued so I read the book. I like the book, but at the end I sort of felt like the author's problems didn't stem from the war or from being a marine; I think he would feel the same anguish had he never joined.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above although I'm looking forward to more from Swofford. I was amazed in the book how much Swofford revealed about his family (in the book), including stuff that is generally kept very private.

~ Rick
Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the jarheads [censored] up a bar full of locals sending them to the hospital even though they were outnumbered. the police end up letting them off the hook since they had just fought for our country and they knew of troy's death. really good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the cops let them go mostly because they took care of most of the degenerates in town.

~ Rick
Old 11-06-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL.

As to Godfather, I read it after seeing the movie and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a very good read. Mario Puzo is a very good storyteller.

[/ QUOTE ]

The part of Godfather the book I really didn't like was all that sort of gynological (sp?) stuff. But it was years ago when I read it so maybe today I'd like if more, being a bit more knowledgeable in this area.

~ Rick
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 PM

It was pretty silly stuff, but good for a grin here and there. The rest of the book was more interesting. I love the Sinatra-type stuff.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think the movie was that good as a movie, but it was at least realistic which is what I was hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the writer, producer, and all of the actor's strong left political slants, can you really expect them to reproduce anything in remotely accurate regarding the Marine Corps? Have you spoken to any Marines who have seen this movie and asked them if its in any way accurate?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 PM

I think it has been confirmed -- perhaps by Fox News? -- that nobody left wing could possibly be remotely accurate regarding anything at all. Ask Rush Limbaugh, who's not just making this stuff up, folks.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think the movie was that good as a movie, but it was at least realistic which is what I was hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the writer, producer, and all of the actor's strong left political slants, can you really expect them to reproduce anything in remotely accurate regarding the Marine Corps? Have you spoken to any Marines who have seen this movie and asked them if its in any way accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, talked to my friend last night. He is ex-Marine, Gulf War One Vet, etc. Said it was very accurate.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it is accurate? It's a hollywood movie, it's entertainment. Only morons watch movies to find out what's really going on in the world.