Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Turn play with TPWK and Nut Flush Draw

So I was cruising through PT looking for leaks and I noticed this hand under A8s.

According to PT the SB is a decent player 13.07/6.53/3.54

The rest of the table is fishy-fishy.

I think that the pre-flop and flop plays are pretty standard (I guess we could make an argument for not betting pre-flop, but looking at the replay every icon but SB is a fish).

Looking back, I think that I should have just called the Turn bet. Does anyone disagree with this line of thinking and if so, why?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (19.00 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.00 BB.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Turn play with TPWK and Nut Flush Draw

You really need to just call this turn. When the SB bets out after MP2 call caps the flop, he's got something that can beat a pair of aces, and with 4 people in the pot, you are putting in 25% of the money but probably only have about 20% pot equity here. By the way, why didn't you river the nuts? You need to work on this.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:30 AM

Open-limping with A8s in MP was ugly. Raise or fold there. You're not going to get enough players in the pot to make open-limping it from there profitable.

I wouldn't have 3-bet the flop. You just got check-raised by the SB who you mentioned was a decent player. You don't want MP2 or button to face two-bets cold when you're likely behind. You're not cleaning up any outs with the raising and you need to improve to win. Try to keep at least two others in the hand! You got lucky here with everyone sticking around, but I wouldn't 3-bet here everytime.

Definitely just call that turn.

I wonder if SB didn't raise TT pre-flop. That or he has 44. I can't imagine him calling with AT and I can't imagine him being that aggressive with AQs.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:45 AM

Good point on the open limp, that is pretty lame.

I hear you on the flop 3-bet. I think that is definitely situational and based upon the specific table. (Hopefully) this was probably one of those tables where people call flop raises once they are in because they want to pair their kicker and will pay the cheap bets (no matter how many of them there are).

Villain actually had ATo, which is surprising to me as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, why didn't you river the nuts? You need to work on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am still new to limit poker so I haven't gotten this one down yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 AM

*grunch*
I can't see you being ahead on the turn here and therefore don't have the equity for a raise. Draw as cheaply as you can to your flush and just call the turn. If you call, MP2 and button probably come along to pad the pot when you river the nuts.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM

Your flop play makes me wince. Call the turn.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM

I`d go for a c/r on the flop and if given the chance cap it.
Just call the turn.
Preflop is read-dependent.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good point on the open limp, that is pretty lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Your read in the OP was that the entire table, with the exception of the uber-TAG in SB was fishy, why would you think that you wouldn't get enough callers to play A8s? Raising it, otoh, in EP is over-playing it. When it gets raised to your immediate left, calling one back is no problem.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your flop play makes me wince. Call the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a bit more? You think he should have gone for a check-raise?