Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Whatd the dude say to piss off Jennifer Harmon?

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the hand more closely just now on the re-run and didn't think he was THAT bad.
He was a bit over-the-top but Harman going on and on about 'nice speech' I thought was worse.

The guy is not as experienced as Harman obviously...he's on national TV and beats one of the best in the world in front of a live crowd too.
That's naturally going to get his heart pumping so he may not quite have been thinking straight.

Harman, in the meanwhile, seemed quite whiny...knew full-well that her behavior would be on national TV...and acted poorly imo by calling that guy out.

Some have mentioned that Hellmuth or Matusow would have behaved much worse.
Obviously this is correct.

But how would a guy like Raymer or Ferguson have acted in the exact same situation?
While the beat would certainly affect them I think that guys like that would show a LOT more class even WITH the other guy show-boating to the audience like he did.

I think that Negreanu would be fairly likely to laugh it off as just another in his string of bad-luck this year.
And I think that Greenstein would stay more composed as well.

I know that all these pros really want to do well at the main-event and pretty much look forward to it all year...but I still don't think that's an excuse for how Harman was on that one.
She wasn't THAT bad of course...but I do think she could have handled herself better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly that was WAS a pro though, I remember a caption/or mention that he made at least 2 final tables previously in WSOP events. He should know better.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think that Greenstein would stay more composed as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't catch this hand, was playing online at the time. I just wanted to mention, I'm pretty sure Greenstein flipped out on another player (one of the British guys I think) for slow-rolling the nuts in an Omaha tourney, I believe at this years WSOP. Barry was still steaming the next day, and allegedly told the guy he should be barred from pro tourneys. There was some bunch of BS with the two of them carrying it over to the internet. Everybody seemed to agree Barry overreacted. I don't think it's uncommon.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM

First, the guy raised after debating for a long time. And this actually caused a different course of action.

This guy, before he calls, even states "I guess I have to go home on this hand." or something similar. You have the nuts, you are calling all in, you can't trick her any more. It's one thing if he didn't realize he had the straight flush, but its obvious he knew. The ONLY reason to wait here was to be a dick. In Greenstein/"Aces" Trumper, it actually did influence the action, and caused Greenstein to call a raise he normally wouldn't.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Micro,

Forgive my ignorance, but where are you televised in that episode? I have it taped so I can watch for you. How did you finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, where are you? I've got it TiVoed and only watched half...I'll have to look for you now. (you didn't know you had a fan club did you?)
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you really slow-roll for 3 seconds? He said two sentences and suddenly Harman is sarcasticly saying, "Nice speech."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. When thinking about calling an all-in with the absolute nuts, 3 seconds is WAY too long. Heck, 1 second is too long.

And the guy beating Ferguson didn't slowroll him to my knowledge. If this guy immediately called on Jennifer, I don't think she gets as upset.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Micro,

Forgive my ignorance, but where are you televised in that episode? I have it taped so I can watch for you. How did you finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's within the first 15 minutes of the first one.

yeah, where are you? I've got it TiVoed and only watched half...I'll have to look for you now. (you didn't know you had a fan club did you?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the hand with the fat dude's K9 against Ferguson's aces shows how he would react. The only reason the guy called is because he entered on a $250 satellite. Its $10,000 to Chris Ferguson. A lot of people in that situation would have flown off the handle, especially when the flop came K 9 4. Ferguson sat calmy and when the board paired and Chris won he went over and shook the fat guy's hand. That is class.

The fat guy played horribly and it was clear he was playing this hand simply to take a shot at a well-known pro. Ferguson acted with class while Harman did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was hillarious, I laughed my ass off when the fat guy, I guess, didn't realize the river paired the board and thought he won the hand for a few seconds.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM

[/quote Ferguson sat calmy and when the board paired and Chris won he went over and shook the fat guy's hand. That is class.

The fat guy played horribly and it was clear he was playing this hand simply to take a shot at a well-known pro. Ferguson acted with class while Harman did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ferguson always acts with class but it is a hell of a lot easier when you win the hand!
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM

I think Jennifer's actions are justified.

You have one of the worst beats, vs an opponent that slow rolls calling with the nuts. Although the man obviously felt like sh!t after his behavior was noted.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Jennifer's actions are justified.

You have one of the worst beats, vs an opponent that slow rolls calling with the nuts. Although the man obviously felt like sh!t after his behavior was noted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that in the heat of the moment he didn't realize he was slowrolling, just trying to be friendly, since it was pretty clear he had come from behind. The fact that he felt bad, and clearly isn't used to getting a straight flush in the Main Event, is what makes it an overreaction.