Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Bankroll building success (and failure) stories anyone?

Hey... long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway these stories always intrigue me... especially from those who derive most of their profit from SnGs (and have 20k bankrolls playing the 215s). Hopefully a lot of people share theirs. I'll start with mine from the perspective of a 19 year old on summer break from college.

7/04:
Deposit $100 - Run it up to $450 playing WPT style on 25NL
Promptly lose every penny of that $450
Quit for a while

8/04
Another $100 run up to $350 this time (WPT style play)
Another $350 lost
Quit again

10/04
Another $100 stake... learn about nut peddling and also about PLO. Additionally, I develop the strategy of advertising on the NL25 and PLO25 tables. Raising repeatedly once I sit down with hands like 93o (or say K942 rainbow) then nut peddling for a few hours.
$100 slowly turns into $600

11/04 -1/05
Discover $11 SnGs and make around $900 over the next 2 months (2 tabling). I played very tight... way too tight on the bubble but this tends to hurt you less at the 11s than at higher levels.
Discover MTTs... starting playing the Empire $22 8PM (normally with 250-300 players) a few times per week. Made 4 final tables (5th, 6th, 8th, 9th) for about a $800 boost.
I made several attempts to move up to the 22s but I was playing way too tight on the bubble to be successful there. Bankroll around $2500.

2/04-Present
Discover MJ's blind stealing theorum article. This is what helped me be successful at the $22s. It is my opinion that the $22s are the most profitable (ROI-wise) of all levels. All of the breakeven/mildly successful $11 players who win regardless of their tight bubble play try to beat the $22s. They are crushed by people who know the value of LAGish bubble play. Anyway, I have made 3k (playing about 50 tournaments a week) there. I experienced a few 30 buy-in downswings but overall profited fairly steadily. I also have played a bunch of $33 3 table SnGs and have $800-900 profit there. So my bankroll is now up to around 6.5k (although I cashed out 5.5k to buy a car and a new computer and moniter for 8 tabling).

Funny Drunken Stories:
Amazingly, I am up over $600 in my life while playing drunk. One time I got back from the bar and started 4 tabling NL25 and stacked 9 people in a little over an hour after some HEAVY advertising. Another time I made the final table of an empire $22 buy-in (300 person) tourney with a gigantic chip lead (like 95k versus 30k in second) playing turbo drunken LAG luckbox style (roughly 10 beers deep). My roomates were listening to Journey way too loud and the cops came and took me away from my computer and questioned me for over 2 hours about some random BS. I got blinded out in that time and only finished 5th for $350 (and a $500 fine). I also won a $33 3 table while pregaming before the bar. Needless to say, I blew the majority of the $250 profit that night. On the flip side, I woke up once after blacking out with $215 less in my account. Sure enough, I checked my email and there was a HH from a 215. I went out when I pushed JJ into AA level 1 like a drunken moron.

Anyway, I just quit my $12/hour job and have decided to play full time this summer as an experiment. I am sure there are a lot of lurkers like me who appreciate the content of this forum.