Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Default JKo hand, help me...

I have no real reads, but none of the villains seemed particularly out of order so far.

I have KJo in MP3. UTG limps, folded to me, I raise, both blinds and UTG call. Flop is AK5 rainbow, checked to me, I bet. All call. Turn is 2, completing the rainbow. Checked to me, what to do?

Crap, edited to say this is .5/1 at Titan poker. Its a pretty small site, has 2 games going at this limit, mainly regulars playing.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: JKo hand, help me...

I'de check hoping to catch a J or K on the river. Can't beleive you're ahead here and doubt anyone would fold an Ace.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:35 PM

Check and reevalute the river. 3 opponents called your flop bet and while you may have the best hand, it's a fairly drawless board and you're basically hoping they have QJ/QT/JT/5x/worse king. If you bet they will fold only if they have nothing and call/raise if they have you beat (and it's rare you are ahead of all 3 here). You'll get to watch them on the river and reevalute whether you want to see the showdown or not.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't beleive you're ahead here and doubt anyone would fold an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a key point. Anyone who's willing to play an ace against you preflop is going to showdown against you when an ace flops. If you lost to the rivered straight or 2-pair because you checked the turn - well, that's poker.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Would you call a bet on the river though? In case a rag hits? At these limits I doubt they'll bluff and even if the one betting out does the one calling might have an ace? What do you do when the river gets checked through again?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you call a bet on the river though? In case a rag hits? At these limits I doubt they'll bluff and even if the one betting out does the one calling might have an ace? What do you do when the river gets checked through again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads simplify this a lot.

With none, it depends on the action here. I might fire on the river if it was checked to me 2 streets in a row, but it's an extremely thin value bet (more likely I would check behind, but would bet any ace - even A2o).

If the action on the river was bet/call/call, I'd have to dump it if I gave my opponents any credit. If it was check/check/bet I might call as at least 2 opponents have shown weakness and I showed weakness on the previous street. If it was bet/fold/fold I'd have to call.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Another point to think about re checking behind on the turn is that there are no overcards that can hurt you, so giving a free card isn't as dangerous as it might normally be.

I agree with everybody else to check here.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 PM

OK, I've been a proper idiot here and got the action wrong [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
There was actually a cold caller after me as well, on the button. This changes things a fair bit - I would definitely have checked behind here too. How would you change your advice having someone behind you?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM

I would still check, now there are 4 opponents who were not scared of a mostly drawless flop. You represented the ace by raising preflop and betting the flop and no one flinched. Check and see what happens.