Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM

Default AQs, I double donk bet - what do you think?

Button was kind of relatively solid LAG - not maniac, but not exactly tight. MP3 was pretty loose passive - called down a lot without much , so I wasn;t particularly worried.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Obvious raise, right.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

OK, I was thinking about 3 betting this, but I knew that button had raised for a free card a couple of times already. Plus, I thought that if they were on draws, they were gonna call anyway, so...

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Uh oh, OK, now what. Obviously not free card play. Pots too big to fold, so I think I will call down.

River: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Hmm, this is nice, I think. If I CR, I will only get 3 bet by hands that beat me (like sets), and I can't really fold to a 3bet due to pot size. If I am ahead to some 2 pair that beat me before, he could easily check behind as well. So, I bet out, calling a raise.

What do you think of all streets?

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 08-04-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: AQs, I double donk bet - what do you think?

If villain is a LAG, you absolutely must be putting more bets in on one of these streets, most likely the turn or river. By just donkbetting then calling his raise every time, you left a decent number of bets on the table, IMO, you could have easily capped the turn and gotten 2 more bets out of Button, plus the chance of getting MP3 to come along for the ride as well.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 PM

Well I think I misrepresented when I said LAG. He's a kind of thinking, kind of donkish player. His stats are 32/12/1.9, so you see what I mean.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM

3-bet the flop. lead the turn. (i check the turn if capped)

if he's raising for a free card, then he'll call and you lead the turn anyway. if they're on draws, then get their money in the pot now. we want them to call.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM

I think you can take your stop n go and shove it up your ass! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I might have 3 bet the flop, if I thought button was on a draw and trying to get a free card. If that's what he wants, why give it to him?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Newbie- so again this is for my edification, not for advice!

I think I'd play the hand similarly, though I've a horrible feeling I'd see a set or 8-10 h at the end!

Probable changes? I'd three-bet the flop, just to make draws pay. That would let me get an idea whether to lead the turn or go into c/call- depending on the card.

I wonder if I might try a c/r at the end.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:53 PM

You played it kind of weird. You kept stopping and going and that probably induced the LAGgish button to keep betting even on a semi-bluff. If he knew you were capable of folding he might try that move with just a draw.

Seems like he either has a set, Ax, Ax that made two pair, or a draw like T8h. A set would wait for the turn to get you on that one assuming you'd slow down if he raised the flop? Given the way you played it and the fact that he's aggressive, I'd say you are good enough to call on the end.

However, I'm not sure about your logic on the river, but I'll let someone else tackle that.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 PM

OK, I might as well tell the results, because I think this hand is interesting. He had A9, so MHWG. However, he most likely would've capped the flop if I 3 bet: what would your move then be?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM

[grunch]

By your read, I think Button would have raised any pocket pair preflop, don't you? When he comes to life on the flop, I'm worried about flush draws, mostly, but A9s/A6s certainly isn't out of the question. At this point, I like your thinking and play.

That means I like the bet-out on the turn. When he raises, I expand his possible holdings to include T8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I think I will call down, too.

You made your two-pair on the river, but can't be sure of not being raised. I think in this case (this has been coming up a lot, recently) I go for the check-call rather than bet-call or anything-fold, but I tend to get chicken on the river. I'll give up the extra bet on a winning hand to save the extra bet on a loser, I suppose.

[/grunch]
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I might as well tell the results, because I think this hand is interesting. He had A9, so MHWG. However, he most likely would've capped the flop if I 3 bet: what would your move then be?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he caps, you call down, then probably go for a raise on the river.